• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

I was watching a bunch of Shakira's videos the other day and I was wondering about how her videos show like a curve of growing confidence. Virtually all of her hit videos feature her in a highly assertive role or show her with an imaginary partner who she overpowers. From Objection to Don't Bother and La Tortura to Shewolf, Rabiosa and most recently Chantaje her videos show her as a winner, and a sexy confident in-control woman.

There is definitely like a sense of entitlement and it's not like the guys don't like it. If anything, it boosts her views and popularity. But for me as a guy it is sometimes not just challenging but also unsettling to watch her push her “woman on top” attitude in my face all the time. I really like her music but I was wondering when is it too much. What gives her the right to do this all the time? And before you tell me I can't handle her sexual liberty just look at her videos like CRTFY or Chantaje, it's so extreme now that I feel like she's trumping on my pride as a male viewer. Yet I keep watching her videos which can be a little frustrating.

I was wondering if I am alone in these thoughts and if these reactions go across the gender divide, or it's something peculiar to men. What do you make of Shakira's videography?

#2 Lorelei

Lorelei

Oral Fixation

• 7,736 posts

• Greece

• Quote:
    "i got my first record deal with Sony music which back then was CBS"

"Shakira has never been much of a lyricist." - Allison Stewart

"The new album is about clubers of our time.It's not about the clubs that exist, but the club that is in me"

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:19 AM

I was wondering about how her videos show like a curve of growing confidence

WmUVrWL.gif

But for me as a guy it is sometimes not just challenging but also unsettling to watch her push her “woman on top” attitude in my face all the time. I really like her music but I was wondering when is it too much. What gives her the right to do this all the time? 

jnUyYf3.gif

And before you tell me I can't handle her sexual liberty just look at her videos like CRTFY or Chantaje, it's so extreme now that I feel like she's trumping on my pride as a male viewer. 

108.gif

The fragile ego and blatant mansplaining in this post. Seems like you just answered your own question.

There's definitely a sense of entitlement here indeed but it's not coming from Shak's videos. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Lorelei, 16 April 2018 - 06:16 AM.

2di0ia8.jpg

franzfergidon on Shakira being late for her concert during TSCO Tour: 

It's like HAI GUYZ I NO I KEPT U WAITIN BUT LOOK LOL, HEREZ MAI BOIFREND ISN'T HE SO KYUTE U JEAL? YEA I NO, LEMME SING ALL MAI SONGZ BOUT HIM NAO O N SRRY IF U MISS DA TRAIN HOME, DATZ NOT MY PROB, LOL. 

#3 xpr

xpr

Senior

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:57 AM

Chantaje was a raw video. Her dancing around in a dirty toilet, full of dirty urinals wasn't sexy!

#4 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

WmUVrWL.gif

jnUyYf3.gif

108.gif

The fragile ego and blatant mansplaining in this post. Seems like you just answered your own question.

There's definitely a sense of entitlement here indeed but it's not coming from Shak's videos. 

giphy.gif

That's a nice streak of offensive gifs and one line put downs but it doesn't really address the topic except for saying that I'm fragile and arrogant which may well be, but still the question of how far one can go in perceived liberty before disturbing others remains open. Also you highlighted all my words sort of out of context so that it appears I'm preaching curbing women's rights, which is not the case. I am just wondering if there is a fine line between assertiveness/empowerment and entitled exhibitionism that can be abusive of (at least) male desire.

#5 robrock70

robrock70

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• United States

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Yes, dancing around the dirty urinals was sexy.

#6 eptesicus

eptesicus

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    It's all yackety yack

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

What Lorelei said.

#7 Memnto02

Memnto02

Senior

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

I figured this would be the best place for this. I think it's amazing.

https://instagram.com/p/BjLI5WrnQLB/

#8 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

What Lorelei said.

Any original thoughts of your own? Lorelei is not your best bet FYI

#9 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

Yes, dancing around the dirty urinals was sexy.

evidence? (no impressions)

#10 eptesicus

eptesicus

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    It's all yackety yack

Posted Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Any original thoughts of your own? Lorelei is not your best bet FYI

I do, it was already mentioned. I agree with what was said. Not that difficult of a concept; otherwise it would become repetitive.

#11 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

I do, it was already mentioned. I agree with what was said. Not that difficult of a concept; otherwise it would become repetitive.

stop repeating yourself then.

#12 eptesicus

eptesicus

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    It's all yackety yack

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM

stop repeating yourself then.

:hang:

#13 alicec