- - - - -

The K Pop Thread

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts
  • Interests:Music, art, comics, movies, history...

• United States

• Quote:
    "In the name of the moon, I will punish you."

"I have no idea of where I want to go musically, but I'm fine that way. I don't need to remain faithful to any concept, you know."

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

So! I first want to say that I really appreciate people's interest and activity in this thread. Unfortunately, most of my videos no longer work, so I've requested they be removed so this little project can stay at its best. Everyone else's suggestions and posts have been left intact, and several interesting articles (about record breaking artists and the competitive industry) are still here. As for the rest, I'm basically starting anew, and hopefully can pique people's interests with various artists.

Instead of posting an array of random videos (which I considered in order to display contrast), I'm going to focus on a more linear form. Everyone should post any videos, songs, or artists they love, and I will elaborate on said artists. Other than that, I'm going to focus on different labels each month and focus on the most interesting and popular artists throughout. I'll display more eye catching, super synchronized, and very upbeat SM artists, more fashion forward and musically innovative YG artists, and many others. If you don't see one you like right away, there will be someone new next week. <3

I will also try to post most vids with subs to add to their value, although I will sacrifice understanding for beauty, because I am shallow.

First, however, I'm going to share some of what I think are the most interesting songs and videos in to come out of Korea, those of LOEN artists: IU, Sunny Hill and the Brown Eyed Girls. i think these girls are amazingly talented and they are some of my favorites.

The first post I made for these lovely ladies can be found here still works, so I won't repost the vids themselves. I feel, however, that they deserve elaboration. Cleansing Cream, a beautiful ballad with a wonderfully dark video, and the innovative Sixth Sense can be found on the previous page.

Another example of interesting plot twists and catchy/odd music is the first song I ever experienced, Abracadabra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQI6BUTu4vg

Sign

http://youtu.be/Hcdaqc0lJSw

Edited by Catzi, 29 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Bloggity

tumblr_n334oj_L2w_B1ts9cy6o1_500.png

ALBUM SINGLE SURVIVOR ROUND SIX NOW OPEN

NON-ALBUM SINGLE SURVIVOR ROUND SIX NOW OPEN

The Empire of the Thieving Rabid Sun Wolves Whose Hips Don't Lie 

La Cata Zee: Metamorphosis and Life After Death And All His Friends aka CataRatata & Tatoshaki

#62 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

"I have no idea of where I want to go musically, but I'm fine that way. I don't need to remain faithful to any concept, you know."

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Now for the solo works of each of the Brown Eyed Girls...

Ga-in

You want beautiful cinematics, elaborate story line, wonderful lyrics and great vocals?

Irreversible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-kJc9gHAo

Unfortunately I can't find a video with english subtitles for the above. If you watch you can piece together the intense plot, but its a lengthy one. Also, its amazing. Here are the full lyrics to the song at least (not including the dialogue). http://lybio.net/b-e...tion/pop-music/

Bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DciEEXfsjX4

Edited by Catzi, 31 December 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Bloggity

La Cata Zee: Metamorphosis and Life After Death And All His Friends aka CataRatata & Tatoshaki

#63 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

the above video was intended to have subs, you can see its even in the title, but they aren't visible to me.  essentially the song is about sexual awakening.  you can watch on youtube and use the vids closed captioning (CC button) if you want.

hatehatehatenewformat.

Bloggity

#64 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

omg i'm so annoying. this isn't going as planned.  you can use CC while watching the video on this page, you don't have to go to youtube.

Bloggity

#65 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Narsha

In contrast to the sweet melodic Ga-in, is my favorite member, Narsha.

This is the ideal combination of catchy and haunting. Get past the bbi ri bop, you won't regret it.

Bbi Rip Bba Bba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJlS1FhJ1no

Featuring three girls from Sunny Hill. (Not Summer Hill as the poster of this vid claims >.>)

Mamma Mia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJtsvwyNeY

Bloggity

#66 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Miryo

Now for the rapper of the group, known as Miryo.  She's a very tlented lyricist and rapper, but this song might not be for everyone.  That being said this video is also an excellent example of LOEN artists' dark paired with weird/funny asthetic.

[media[/media]

#67 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

no fair to give miryo only one!!!  this song is better anyway, no subs, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjRB9SmMss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW50guX_Qog

Edited by Catzi, 08 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#68 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

JeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elC7TpKchts&list=UUepFAcPmJZz46lJN5gdv1Cg&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelEGzKIFPg&list=UUepFAcPmJZz46lJN5gdv1Cg

#69 Virgo

Virgo

Senior

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Life, Party, Reading, Movies (foreign especially), tea, Singing, TV, snowboarding

• United States

• Quote:
    Quak Quak Quak

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Oh damn... I dunno why... but I actually have a soft spot for Hyuna... =(  She is so damn cute! 

Oiiii today is monday... meh!!!! =3

#70 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Oh damn... I dunno why... but I actually have a soft spot for Hyuna... =(  She is so damn cute! 

hey, the ears want what they want. how much 4minute have you heard?  i like her in that, because i like her rapping.  she was also an original wionder girl and was in the irony single/video.

Bloggity

#71 Virgo

Virgo

Senior

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Life, Party, Reading, Movies (foreign especially), tea, Singing, TV, snowboarding

• United States

• Quote:
    Quak Quak Quak

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I just realized that.

I like 4minute's ready go, huh, and muzik... their japanese version of ready go is really nice; Im not sure if there is a korean.  Oddly enough, I really think she stands out with 4minute... the other girls in the group are ok. 

Its weird how this girls put out solo stuff at the same time they are in a group.  =O Its kinda hard to follow. 

Oiiii today is monday... meh!!!! =3

#72 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I just realized that.

I like 4minute's ready go, huh, and muzik... their japanese version of ready go is really nice; Im not sure if there is a korean.  Oddly enough, I really think she stands out with 4minute... the other girls in the group are ok. 

Its weird how this girls put out solo stuff at the same time they are in a group.  =O Its kinda hard to follow. 

lol, same.  its almost as if they want there to be direct competition XD

that was sarcasm, they do.

and there is a Korean ready go, I blast that, huh, and volume up a lot.

maybe i'll deter from my current sched for them since you like them/hyuna, and sky has a crush XD

Bloggity

#73 FHee

FHee

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Quote:
    Dirigo.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

Mind if I share my artists? I cannot say I know much about K-pop groups (mostly know them thanks to eatyourkimchi) but I like some of Miss A's songs, Sunny Hill and Block B.

I also like Yoon-G and cannot understand why she is so underated? She is one of few that sounds good without playback...

Posted Image

#74 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Mind if I share my artists? I cannot say I know much about K-pop groups (mostly know them thanks to eatyourkimchi) but I like some of Miss A's songs, Sunny Hill and Block B.

I also like Yoon-G and cannot understand why she is so underated? She is one of few that sounds good without playback...

ah, sunny hill, one of my faves until they started experimenting in like..folk and such.  you would probably love brown eyed girls based on that.  i also love most of miss a.

alas, i had this thread planned out for months with diff labels and artists and articles.  however the new format renders most videos into broken links after a month (see 8 out of 10 above) or so and the shit Fu*ck arrogant person who claims to be in charge of with refuses to fix it.  so basically my point is that i've abandoned this thread despite still having so much to share.

Bloggity

#75 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

ug this thread has some sort of hold on me.  i shared really interesting artists but their vids stopped working and i have no answers as to why.  but i can't resist, i want to share more.  so i will have to let my compulsion for perfection fall to the wayside.  today in pop music, most of what i hear is synthed out voices and beats made on a mix board.  how about we enjoy real singing, real instruments, and real good music?  i can't get enough of these two songs that exemplify this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4_rwTytAOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6XLNsJ9YrA

Edited by Catzi, 17 July 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Bloggity

#76 RLW

RLW

Vueltiao

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:Science and Mathematics

• United States

• Quote:
    In a child's power to master the multiplication table there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "Amens!", "Holy, Holies!" and "Hosannahs!" - "Inherit the Wind"

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

For the first video, the first thing I thought about was “Beyoncé - Sweet Dreams” almost but not quite. Anyway, they are all very attractive.

Can't Remember To Forget You

Nunca Me Acuerdo De Olvidarte

#77 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

in a world of miley's rubbing men's dicks with a foam finger, and gaga's singing in outfits that look like the end result of a special needs craft project, and just an excess of "look at how shocking and sexual i can be", let's all take some time to refelct on the good in the world...

also, regardless of whether you love of hate this song, it will infect your mind and you will not be able to stop thinking about it until you listen again, and then you'll never be able to stop listening.

Edited by Catzi, 11 December 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Bloggity

#78 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

freaking youtube vids stopping working.  stuoid new forum format.

obsessed with this song and its amazing build up:

Edited by Catzi, 11 December 2013 - 10:54 AM.

Bloggity

#79 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Edited by Catzi, 11 December 2013 - 10:55 AM.

Bloggity

#80 dorishakira

dorishakira

Ready for the good times!

• PlatinumŽ
  • 1,928 posts
  • Quote:
    Life is a song,sing it!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

it's good to see some different music videos from the ones I've seen of other K pop singers ... it was some kind of cool... but I don't know what is the song about so I don't know what else to say. ( btw I  could only watch till 2:40,it didn't load more )

image.jpg

Like the empires of the world unite

We are alive

#81 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

it's good to see some different music videos from the ones I've seen of other K pop singers ... it was some kind of cool... but I don't know what is the song about so I don't know what else to say. ( btw I  could only watch till 2:40,it didn't load more )

if you go to it on youtube, i believe under settings, tehres a closed caption option.  most korean vids have those as eng subs now.

Bloggity

#82 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

am i crazy, or is this amazing?

and yes, they actually play their own instruments and compose.

Edited by Xandrios, 08 December 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Bloggity

#83 Baby Duck

Baby Duck

i wanna make it wit chu~

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,593 posts

• United States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

I REALLY LIKE THIS. Seriously. The video is cool (what with the semi-steam-punky stuff), but I liked the music a lot.

The Miss A song was ... okay? I liked their outfits, kind of expected a little more from the song, though. The ODD EYE stuff is pretty cool, I like the whole string-section thing, but I wasn't a big fan of the Engrish ;_; They're really cute though, I would listen to more of them.

n3YmftE.png
you're solid gold, i'll see you in hell

last.fm. tumblr. twitter.

#84 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

I REALLY LIKE THIS. Seriously. The video is cool (what with the semi-steam-punky stuff), but I liked the music a lot.

The Miss A song was ... okay? I liked their outfits, kind of expected a little more from the song, though. The ODD EYE stuff is pretty cool, I like the whole string-section thing, but I wasn't a big fan of the Engrish ;_; They're really cute though, I would listen to more of them.

YES!!! i was expecting and am so happy you liked top, and odd eye.  they only have three singles, but they all play those instruments in all their songs.

Bloggity

#85 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

2013's Biggest-Selling K-Pop Songs in America: PSY, Girls' Generation, 2NE1 & More

By Jeff Benjamin, New York

| December 17, 2013 8:00 PM EST
snsd_psy_2ne1_split_650-430_0.jpg
Acts may have felt sales spurts from TV placements, high-profile award wins and, of course, general fanfare.

When you consider we're in 2013, a look through America's 10 best-selling K-pop songs has expected and majorly-unexpected inclusions.

Unsurprisingly, PSY leads the count for top-selling K-pop track. But it's not with his 2013 single "Gentleman," a top-5 hit on the Hot 100; rather, t's with with last year's international smash "Gangnam Style," which is still selling the Korean rapper loads of singles. The 2012 single also landed at No. 55 on Billboard's year-end Hot 100 chart. Last year, "Gangnam Style" was at No. 47 on 2012's year-end chart.

PSY's slinky follow-up single "Gentleman" is the second-largest-selling K-pop track of 2013. Meanwhile, PSY's 2010 single "Right Now" -- which also boasts a high-energy electronic production similar to "Gangnam Style" -- is the eighth biggest-selling K-pop track.

Another surprise comes from the third-biggest seller: "Fantastic Baby" by five-member boy band BIGBANG, which was also released in 2012. "Fantastic Baby" is, perhaps, one of the most accessible K-pop tracks to American listeners, helping it outsell a slew of 2013 releases. Interestingly, the leader of BIGBANG -- rapper/singer G-Dragon -- did not chart any tracks from this fall's "Coup D'Etat" album despite collaborations with names like Missy Elliott, Sky Ferreira and Diplo. Still, the release hit No. 182 on the Billboard 200 earlier this year, the only K-pop act in 2013 to enter the Billboard 200.

Behind BIGBANG is Girls' Generation's "I Got a Boy." While the nine-member girl group is popular on its own -- a GG splinter group still holds the record for the highest-charting K-pop album on the Billboard 200 -- sales may have been spurred after "I Got a Boy" won Video of the Year at the first-ever YouTube Music Awards.

At No. 5 is "Growl" by 12-member boy band EXO. Less than two years after its debut, the group has made waves in the K-pop industry for not only for becoming the year's biggest-selling act in Korea, but also for impressive visuals like the one-take video for "Growl" along with "Wolf," the ninth biggest-selling K-pop song in America.

K-pop girl group 2NE1 land at No. 6 with its 2011 single "I Am the Best." Unlike "Fantastic Baby," this track isn't as hard to figure out, following two contestants performing a fierce rendition to the electro-pop track on "So You Think You Can Dance."

The quartet's reggae-tinged "Falling in Love" single, 2NE1's first new release in a year, also rounded out the top 10 at No. 10. 

Just behind 2NE1 is the girl group's leader -- rapper/singer CL -- with her debut solo track "The Baddest Female." The hip-hop track was CL's first foray into solo stardom.

source: billboard.com

Bloggity

#86 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

2013 mash up!  use closed captioning to find what song's what if you like something.

Edited by Catzi, 15 January 2014 - 08:46 AM.

Bloggity

#87 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

some mellow stuff

Bloggity

#88 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

the-kim-sisters.png

If asked “What is the first Korean music you were introduced to?” how would you respond? Fans from the 90′s might say H.O.T., Seo Taiji and Boys, g.o.d, Fin.k.l and etc. More recent fans may respond with Girls’ Generation, Big Bang, Wonder Girls, 2NE1, and etc. However, if you were to ask the same question to an American in the 1960′s, they would most likely respond with “The Kim Sisters.”

Wait, the Kim Sisters? Who in the world are they? “The Kim Sisters” was a popular female music trio from Korea composed of sisters Sook-ja, Ai-ja, and Mia (Mia is actually a cousin of the two, but was considered a sister) who battled poverty and hardships on their journey to becoming a top act in the glittering light filled city of Las Vegas, as well as becoming a favorite guest on the popular Sunday night variety show “Ed Sullivan Show.” Lets take a look at their amazing story that begins with their musically talented family in war ravaged Korea during the 1950s.

kim.jpg

The story of the “The Kim Sisters” begin with their musically gifted family. The mother of Sook Ja and Ai-Ja, Lee Nan Young, was a famous singer in Korea before the war, most known for her 1935 hit “Tears in Mokpo,” and their father Kim Hae Song was also a successful conductor. The sisters would lose their father during the war and the bombings would destroy their home. Lee Nan Young continued to support her family with performances for the GI troops stationed in Korea, when one day she decided to make the trio “The Kim Sisters,” composed of her daughters Sook-ja, Ai-ja, and niece Mia. Thus the group began, and the trio began singing together during their early teen years for GI troops stationed in Korea.

The thee children would begin performing in 1954 for chocolate and beer in which they would exchange for food. Without knowing English, the members had to phonetically memorize the songs for their performance. They continued to receive support and love from the GI’s with their performances of country hits like “Ole Buttermilk Sky” and “Candy & Cake.” After hearing numerous promises from GI’s saying that they would take them to the US to perform, the girls began to dream of performing in America where they could make big bucks and support their family. Their big break occurred in 1959 when Tom Ball, after learning about the trio through a GI, offered them a four week contract to perform at the Thunderbird Hotel in Las Vegas for the Asian themed show China Doll Revue. Thus, the trio began their adventure filled journey to the USA.

Mia_album.jpg

The girls were just teenagers when they arrived in L.A. No family members accompanied them on the trip, and the teenage girls were in an unfamiliar place. After arriving in L.A. they were driven to Las Vegas with road manager Bob Mcmackin. The three managed to earn 400 dollars a month as they lived together in their small apartment and survived on tuna sandwiches. Their first contract with the Thunderbird hotel lasted four weeks where they performed two shows a night alongside Japanese, Chinese and other Asian performers.During their time there, they were recruited to perform at the Stardust hotel where they performed for eight months doing six shows a night.While performing at the Stardust, the trio started to learn how to play many instruments at the urging of their wise mother Lee Nan Young.

After performing at the Stardust for eight months, the group was noticed by the charismatic TV host Ed Sullivan and he invited “The Kim Sisters” to perform as guests at his show. The group performed “Sincerely” by the Maguire Sisters for their first performance on the Ed Sullivan show. From there, they began getting more offers for shows across the U.S. and were also featured in Life Magazine. Their relationship with Ed Sullivan grew and the group performed more than 20 times on the show. The group’s talent of playing a variety of instruments would be instrumental for their many guest appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show. The group would be making $13,000 USD a week at the height of their popularity.

kimsisters4.jpg

With the help of Ed Sullivan they were able to get a visa for their mother Lee Nan Young. Their mother would perform with them on the Ed Sullivan show and she stayed in the U.S. for eight months before leaving back to Korea. Before she left, she requested the group to bring over their brothers which made the group “The Kim Brothers.” The members would perform with a variety of instruments during their performances on the Ed Sullivan Show, and they even learned how to play the bagpipe for the show. The Kim Sisters also helped introduce Korean culture to the Americans by performing with the Korean instrument Gaya-gum, singing Korean songs such as “Arirang” and wearing hanbok.  

Though the sisters were becoming successful in the U.S.A., they were also working constantly in an unfamiliar environment. The sisters would have trouble finding food that match their tastes, and Ai-ja would develop jaundice during her time in Vegas. They also had issues with their road manager Bob Mcmackin who they believed took advantage of them by not paying them justly. The Kim Sisters would eventually break ties with the Bob Mcmaackin after paying him $45,000 USD. 

Mia would leave “The Kim Sisters” in 1967 after marrying Hungarian musician Tommy Vig, but the Kim Sisters would keep performing through the 1970′s. “The Kim Brothers,” on the other hand, would keep performing until the 1990′s. Member Ai-ja sadly passed away in 1987 due to lung cancer. Sook-ja would help foster the growth of the Las Vegas Korean community by bringing over 40 extended family members to the city. Though no longer performing, “The Kim Sisters” have made their mark on history as the first Korean group to make it big in America and paved the way for current Korean musicians pursuing their career abroad.

soompi.com  http://www.soompi.co...e/#.UvEzBbT-Yg8

Edited by CTZ, 20 March 2014 - 10:01 PM.

Bloggity

#89 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Bloggity

#90 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 11,697 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

this is just....amazing.

Bloggity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users