Photo
- - - - -

How Did Shaki Learn Portuguese And Italian?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 CaughtTheFever

CaughtTheFever

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

• Portugal

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

Side note.. Brazilian Portuguese's kicks Portugal's Portuguese's ass.. :ermm3: everything Cidrim282 said is right.

Shaki speaks very fluent, but even if she didn't she could still talk to a Brazilian.. lol

go on with your conversation.. .

LOOL! Our portuguese is the original..:cufnc:

Acctually, I find brazilian portuguese very sexy, I love it!

Shaki speaks portuguese with brazilian accent.
Posted Image

#32 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

At best tolerated from afar.

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld / So I can sigh eternally."

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

a portuguese speaking person and a spanish speaking
person could have a conversation in their own languages
and they would both understand eachother ,

I can attest to that. I once had a Brazilian bf who didn't speak English or Spanish. However, we understood each other using the latin languages.

I recommend Spanish with a heavy Brazilian accent! I get wet by just hearing it. :ermm3:

On topic: Shakira's Portuguese is very good but not perfect.

Edited by Master Chief, 21 June 2007 - 12:40 PM.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbo...om/vizruy.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">vizruy.</iframe>

"Te lloré hasta el extremo de lo que era posible, cuando creía que era invencible."

#33 Hayden The Canadian

Hayden The Canadian

King of the world

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Linguistics, Hockey, Playing Guitar, Biking.

• Canada

• Quote:
    " Prickly Thorn....But Sweetly Worn."

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

I would like Shakira to learn Japanese, it would be so cute hearing her speak Japanese. :ermm3:
Posted Image

#34 J

J

• Admin
  • 4,185 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "That a man can change himself...and master his own destiny is the conclusion of every mind who is wide-awake to the power of right thought."

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Somebody said she speaks very little Italian or something like that and I believe the opposite. I think her Italian is actually very good, maybe not as good as her Portuguese but she can carry out a conversation pretty well.

Here's an example:

http://www.shakirame...e...ideo&id=792

I believe her Italian is really good. Especially on this second interview after she performs Don't Bother:

http://www.shakirame...e...ideo&id=909

Edited by Khaelo, 21 June 2007 - 12:59 PM.

Posted Image
Tu lo haces vivir, lo haces vivir..

#35 D.Rosa

D.Rosa

The Divine Destruction

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,626 posts
  • Interests:I'm very confident. Lo cortés no quita lo valiente..

• United States

• Quote:
    Git on mah lvl son.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

I would like Shakira to learn Japanese, it would be so cute hearing her speak Japanese. :ermm3:

おれ も! :hug: It would be super cute to hear her speak it. スーパ かわいい!
Just thinking about shakira speaking Japanese is turning me on.. lol, seriously though, it's a great language and she would sound super cool speaking it.

LOOL! Our portuguese is the original..:cufnc:

Shaki speaks portuguese with brazilian accent.

I never really heard original Port, I just copy what people tell me :P

Edited by D.Rosa, 21 June 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Lol, Shaki... keep whoring yourself girl. You're making degenerates all over the world very proud of you.

Shakira
1995-2004
R.I.P

#36 sam

sam

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, skiing, music, traveling

• United States

• Quote:
    "Do I have to have a quote?"

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

DAVELOVESHAKI: she learned portuguese in Brazil and I know she knows it very well or almost.

When did she spend time in Brazil?

Cidrim: a portuguese speaking person and a spanish speaking
person could have a conversation in their own languages
and they would both understand eachother

Is it really true that native spanish and portuguese speaker can understand each other? See excerpt below. It's from Wikipedia so I don't know how reliable it is. But it suggests that it's not trivial to move from one language to the other.
http://simple.wikipe...uguese_language
"Portuguese and Spanish are both romance languages and have a lot of things in common. But they´re not the same. Sometimes a Portuguese speaker can understand a Spanish speaker, but most of the times it doesn´t happen. The same about Spanish speakers understanding Portuguese speakers. A little example is: "Abri a janela muito rápido para jantar" (Portuguese) "Abrí la ventana muy pronto para cenar" (Spanish) "I opened the window very fast so I can have dinner" (English)"
[url=http://www.shakiramedia.com/index.php?page=watchvideo&id=758]

As Khaelo demonstrates, although she's not fluent in Italian, she's pretty good. So how did she learn it? True it's another romance language. But I can speak French though I can't understand the other romance languages. I gather Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese are perhaps a little more alike. But still, it would take time and effort if you know one, to learn the other. I don't think you can do it on the run.

Edited by sam, 21 June 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#37 D.Rosa

D.Rosa

The Divine Destruction

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,626 posts
  • Interests:I'm very confident. Lo cortés no quita lo valiente..

• United States

• Quote:
    Git on mah lvl son.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

It's true that there are many differences but the similarities are so strong that usually any one can make sense of a sentence. My mom understands Portuguese easily and she spoke to my Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor in spanish, so I believe it's pretty simple.

My friends grandma is from Curitiba Brasil and she understands Spanish COMPLETELY..
Then again, It may be due to prior her moving to the states she was in a Dominican neighborhood.. lol

Just trust the language speakers when they say it's not difficult to link the languages. Cause it's not..

Lol, Shaki... keep whoring yourself girl. You're making degenerates all over the world very proud of you.

Shakira
1995-2004
R.I.P

#38 J

J

• Admin
  • 4,185 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "That a man can change himself...and master his own destiny is the conclusion of every mind who is wide-awake to the power of right thought."

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

Italian and Spanish are very similar.
Portuguese and Spanish as well, but Portuguese and French have more similarities in terms of pronounciation than Spanish and French.

So I guess it'd go like this:

Italian -> Spanish -> Portuguese -> French

Lol, I'm confused already. I'm half Italian and I do understand 80% of what I hear when somebody speaks it, but when somebody writes it I understand about 50-60% depending on the words. I can read it though easily, so probably that's why for Shakira it wasn't so hard to learn.

The mistery though is how the heck she learned it lol.. Hopefully somebody knows, because I'm very intrigued. :ermm3:
Posted Image

#39 Wolf-Hunter

Wolf-Hunter

♪♫♪Near Perihelion♫♪♫

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,541 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "I'm Colombian and nothing will change that." - Shakira

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

yeah I agree that her italian is not that good since she only smiles and says little words like la poeta said in the first page regarding her german and french.

When did she spend time in Brazil?

http://www.shakirame...e...s=&vidsort=

and yeah I live in a neighborhood of portuguese and Brazilian people so I pretty much can attest that even with my poor knowledge of portuguese I can understand them perfectly.

Edited by DAVELOVESHAKI, 21 June 2007 - 01:34 PM.

hsl2io.jpg

#40 sam

sam

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,148 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

yeah I agree that her italian is not that good since she only smiles and says little words like la poeta said in the first page regarding her german and french.

Did you check out the link Khaelo provided? It's quite clear that she's much more competent in Italian than you say she is.

[url=http://www.shakiramedia.com/index.php?page=loadvideo&cat=other&pagenr=2&links=&vidsort=]

Thanks for this Dave. But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at?

#41 Wolf-Hunter

Wolf-Hunter

♪♫♪Near Perihelion♫♪♫

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,541 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

Did you check out the link Khaelo provided? It's quite clear that she's much more competent in Italian than you say she is.

Thanks for this Dave. But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at?

I did watch that a long time ago and she doesn't speak much italian she just smiles and says few words.I've seen interviews and she even says she is not fluent in that language.

Edited by DAVELOVESHAKI, 21 June 2007 - 01:51 PM.

hsl2io.jpg

#42 sam

sam

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,148 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

I did watch that a long time ago and she doesn't speak much italian she just smiles and says few words.I've seen interviews and she even says she is not fluent in that language.

Nobody's claiming she's fluent. I said she's pretty good, but not fluent. Watch the second video after she sings "Don't Bother"? She seems to be able to respond to the interviewer after he speaks for a while in Italian. He seems to comment on how she understands. He uses the word 'capish' (I'm sure I'm not spelling this right) which is a form of the verb 'to understand'.

Edited by sam, 21 June 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#43 OkashiNaYume

OkashiNaYume

Be American, Buy Chinese

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 8,398 posts
  • Interests:Anthropology, Art, Asia, Archaeology, Books, Chinese, Chinese Cinema, Foreign Languages, Greek, Japanese, Literature, Linguistics, Movies, Music, Spanish, Russian.
  • Quote:
    La razón de la sinrazón que a mi razón se hace, de tal manera mi razón se enflaquece, que con razón me quejo de vuestra fermosura.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

Italian and Spanish are very similar.
Portuguese and Spanish as well, but Portuguese and French have more similarities in terms of pronounciation than Spanish and French.

So I guess it'd go like this:

Italian -> Spanish -> Portuguese -> French

Lol, I'm confused already. I'm half Italian and I do understand 80% of what I hear when somebody speaks it, but when somebody writes it I understand about 50-60% depending on the words. I can read it though easily, so probably that's why for Shakira it wasn't so hard to learn.

The mistery though is how the heck she learned it lol.. Hopefully somebody knows, because I'm very intrigued. :catfight:

I agree with this!

This is semi-on and semi-off topic but I went to see Hostel 2 with my friends over the weekend, in the beginning, they were interrogating one of the characters in Italian, and I was able to understand probably about 80% or so (mostly because the pronunciation differences are somewhat pronounced [no pun intended!] for some of the words that can be interpreted as similar).. the clearest part to me was when the guy says, "We found a dead guy with a similar tattoo on his arm in the train station" or something along those lines.
Official SHAKIFANZLATOR (coined by Steveo)

Así debéis prodecer vosotros: manteneos locos, pero comportaos como personas normales. Corred el riesgo de ser diferentes, pero aprended a hacerlo sin llamar la atención.

"They say temperatures of 7,000 degrees centigrade hit me... Nobody there looked like human beings... Humans had lost the ability to speak. People couldn't scream, "It hurts!" even when they were on fire... People with their legs wrenched out. Without heads. Or with faces burned and swollen out of shape. The scene I saw was a living hell." - Yamaoko Michiko

カトヤさん、気にしなくていいよ!

#44 Lamalditaprimavera

Lamalditaprimavera

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,138 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "I don't view myself as outrageous - that's not the intention. Its to be more and more original."

- Lady GaGa

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Her portuguese isn't that great. And by that statement I mean she hasn't spend large quantities of time deepening her skills in that language as she has with English and Spanish (reading writing, speaking, etc). You can tell because most latin americans can understand portuguese and vice versa. It's easy for a person who speak spanish to faux speak portuguese by learning some of the linguistic differences and rules. Take her out of her spanish comfort zone word wise and you would see a different story. For example, portuguese has a lot of tenses that spanish does not have. You don't see her venturing out into those tenses.

I think over all once you speak 2 romance languages you can easily understand and faux speak the other ones. I understand Italian 100% and I can speak back without understanding any of their grammar rules because it flows like French, portuguese and spanish. Am i fluent? No, you could easily catch me with a word that doesnt have a recognizable latin root. I think you would find the same with Shakira.
Entre vender y no vender
me debato entre el placer
De ponerle precio a mi canto
a de televisar mi llanto

A regalar no a vender
a regalarte un pedazo mio
Más expuesta que un capullo
Como si fuera un fácil camino
Yo no vengo a vender
me vengo a regalar
Tomas ahora mi voz
o te hechas a volar
Este es un mundo curioso
Lo que es basura es hermoso

#45 Wolf-Hunter

Wolf-Hunter

♪♫♪Near Perihelion♫♪♫

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,541 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

I think her Brazilian and Portuguese fans here have stated that her portuguese is Great so I don't believe you lamaldita... plus there is a video in where she is asked to name the languages in which she is fluent and she says Spanish, English and Portuguese I mean lets not forget this woman is a GENIUS with an IQ of 140.

Edited by DAVELOVESHAKI, 21 June 2007 - 05:10 PM.

hsl2io.jpg

#46 J

J

• Admin
  • 4,185 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

There's a interview she had on her Oral Fixation Era when she traveled to Portugal and she was at a NEWS Channel and I just can't find it anywhere. Anyways, if somebody knows where it is I'd really appreaciate if someone could post the link, because it was 100% in Portuguese and she spoke fluently and seemed to understand everything. It was a very extense interview and she seemed comfortable with it as well.

It was on a topic in a forum, not sure if it's this one, but members were comparing her Portuguese with Nelly Furtado's and came with the conclusion that Shakira's is much better. :poledance: Hopefully someone can find it so people who haven't seen it can actually watch Shakira speak very fluently Portuguese.
Posted Image

#47 CaughtTheFever

CaughtTheFever

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • 582 posts

• Portugal

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hey! Here it is the whole interview....it was in NOV 2005, the day befora MTV EMA's:

http://videos.sapo.p...QOzqYSp7d2J5kSQ

And Khaelo.....since you referred Nelly, feel free to compare:

http://videos.sapo.p...Y9LejLIlU#11988

:poledance:

Edited by CaughtTheFever, 21 June 2007 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Lo Imprescindible

Lo Imprescindible

Cold Hard Bitch

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,985 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    I'll make you squeal baby

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

I just found this video of Shakira doing an interview in Italian. She is cute when she shows how she moves to the 2 show hosts. :poledance: This was during the LS era.

r8wBrRayiYA

Edited by Lo Imprescindible, 21 June 2007 - 05:43 PM.

tumblr_lvx6uxBE461qb61ido2_r1_400.gif

Shakira slayage is upon us!

#49 J

J

• Admin
  • 4,185 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Hey! Here it is the whole interview....it was in NOV 2005, the day befora MTV EMA's:

http://videos.sapo.p...QOzqYSp7d2J5kSQ

Thank you very much :hug:
That's the interview and people can clearly see she speaks fluently.
Hopefully someone can rip it. I don't think it's on Shakiramedia. :poledance:
Posted Image

#50 Mick

Mick

Did It Again

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 13,115 posts
  • Interests:None.

• United States

• Quote:
    "Ya no se si he vivido diez mil dias o un dia diez mil veces."

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

She speaks Portugeuse really well. I know Spanish and I can understand Portugeuse when it is spoken to me, I have had conversations with a person speaking Portugeuse to me and speaking Spanish back to them myself. We could easily understand each other on the 5 or so instances this has happened to me. Knowing Spanish is great, I can also understand about 50-60% of spoken Italian. On those interviews where she is being interviewed in Italian I can understand almost everything they are saying to her and what she says back (except when the interviewers speak really fast)...Here is another video in which she speaks Italian (which she is quite good at as well, but less skilled than with Portugeuse)...

This video I edited myself and uploaded to youtube...I can understand everything she says and I'm not fluent in Italian. She says she knows a bit of Italian, she messes up when she says 'a bit', she says it in Portugeuse/Spanish (it sounds in between 'un poco' and 'um pouco'), but she's pretty good at the rest. I like when she says she's a very shy girl lol, and then she's all shy when she dances...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r8wBrRayiYA

And then there is another video where she's being interviewed in Italian on the Italy TRL, but I couldn't find it on youtube anymore.

Edited by Mick, 21 June 2007 - 06:09 PM.

"Si Pudiera Exocisarme De Tu Voz"

#51 Cidrim282

Cidrim282

Pies Descalzos

• Platinum®
  • 1,201 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    ''So Don't Bother ...
    Be unkind...''

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

Shakiras Portuguese is better than good it is
great... and of course it is not perfect
u cant expect anyone to speak perfectly in any language
specially portuguese it is so tricky!
Not even my portuguese teacher could speak
perfect portuguese,

her portuguese is great period!
----------------------------------]''No me juzgues no soy de esas ...
Posted Image
Solo porque tengo una mente traviesa''[------------------------------------

#52 Mick

Mick

Did It Again

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 13,115 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:14 PM

Thank you very much :hug:
That's the interview and people can clearly see she speaks fluently.
Hopefully someone can rip it. I don't think it's on Shakiramedia. :poledance:

That's a good video as well. I remember during the LS era I had mp3 files of a realllly extensive Portuguese interview she did, but all my stuff was deleted when we had a virus and it was erased and I don't even remember the name of the show she was at. :( :( :P

Edited by Mick, 21 June 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#53 Wolf-Hunter

Wolf-Hunter

♪♫♪Near Perihelion♫♪♫

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,541 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

Shakiras Portuguese is better than good it is
great... and of course it is not perfect
u cant expect anyone to speak perfectly in any language
specially portuguese it is so tricky!
Not even my portuguese teacher could speak
perfect portuguese,
her portuguese is great period![size=5]

thanks I know some brazilians that say the same, her portuguese is Great. :poledance:

hsl2io.jpg

#54 J

J

• Admin
  • 4,185 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

That's a good video as well. I remember during the LS era I had mp3 files of a realllly extensive Portuguese interview she did, but all my stuff was deleted when we had a virus and it was erased and I don't even remember the name of the show she was at. :poledance: :( :(

Sorry to hear that. :P
I also had some old stuff I had but had problems with the PC as well. That's why now I always keep everything on DVD's so I don't lose anything.
Posted Image

#55 Mick

Mick

Did It Again

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 13,115 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

In that pre-European VMAs Portugeuse interview it is funny when he asks her about life and death and she wants to say that she is necrophobic (fear of death) but she says she is necrofillic (attracted to death) instead and she thinks about it and starts laughing. lol. :poledance:

Edited by Mick, 21 June 2007 - 07:09 PM.

#56 sam

sam

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,148 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

Some of you have said that Shakira speaks great Portuguese. Other have said that someone who speaks Spanish can understand a fair amount of Portuguese. But I assume most Spanish speakers don't speak Portuguese nearly as well as Shakira. So how much time/work would it take for a Spanish speaker to become as fluent in Portuguese as Shakira is?

#57 UnoMe

UnoMe

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,223 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:02 PM

I found a cute interview that Shakira did for the Ilalian TRL

http://www.shakirame...e...ideo&id=759

#58 Cidrim282

Cidrim282

Pies Descalzos

• Platinum®
  • 1,201 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    ''So Don't Bother ...
    Be unkind...''

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

Some of you have said that Shakira speaks great Portuguese. Other have said that someone who speaks Spanish can understand a fair amount of Portuguese. But I assume most Spanish speakers don't speak Portuguese nearly as well as Shakira. So how much time/work would it take for a Spanish speaker to become as fluent in Portuguese as Shakira is?

Well that is indeed very true
my spanish teacher said that she always
found it so funny how Brazilian ppl could understand
most of the spanish and the spanish ppl couldnt
rerally understnad the brazilian ones sometimes,
but I guess is that Brazil is surrounded by Spanish
speakers countries, and then that somehow has influences in our
culture....
Whileonly Brazil speaks portguese here so it does
not really make any kind of influence ont the culture
of countries that speak spanish .... I guess thats why

But oh well Shakira actually studied
portuguese she wrotesongs in Portuguese
and actually "Moscas En La Casa" was
written in portuguese, while she was in a
Hotel here in Sao Paulo,
than later she recorded the song in Spanish
... So I guess there was supposed to be a
portuguese album... but sadly didnt make it
----------------------------------]''No me juzgues no soy de esas ...
Posted Image
Solo porque tengo una mente traviesa''[------------------------------------

#59 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

At best tolerated from afar.

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld / So I can sigh eternally."

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

Yes, Portuguese speakers understand more Spanish than Spanish speaker understand Portuguese. i thisnk this is mainly becase the Portuguese language has a lot more varied sounds than the Spanish language.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbo...om/vizruy.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">vizruy.</iframe>

"Te lloré hasta el extremo de lo que era posible, cuando creía que era invencible."

#60 CaughtTheFever

CaughtTheFever

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • 582 posts

• Portugal

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

Here is the radio interview from 2003...:)

http://www.rfm.pt/so...ans_shakira.asp

In portuguese....
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users