Fabulosita

• Silver Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    eeeeey!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:43 AM

I love Shakira and her artistry, but as an avid fan im frustrated that she doesnt acknowledge her queer fans more. as i recall, she mentioned in one interview this year that she supports gay marriage. thats hot but doesnt she know that gay men are a huge fanbase of hers?

what about gloria trevi? she did a national gay club tour recently and just released a video "todos me miran" about a transgendered woman (and its fabulous). madonna isnt latin, but she acknowledges her gay boys at concerts, and knows that they are her audience. during romantic/sexy songs she says "ready boys?" instead of "ready girls?" cuz she knows gay boys care the most about her.

shakira really is a gay latin icon, and i hope she or her agents or someone browse these forums because i really want to convince her that we're important to her and she needs to acknowledge us.

lets zoom out for a sec and examine this forum. how many of the members are queer? HELLA, no?

shakira cant just pretend we dont exist and overlook us for the straights. shakira, sabes que existimos! no finjas lo opuesto! te queremos y debes querernos igual.
Check out my YouTube videos! Shakira and other funny ones at http://www.youtube.c...ile?user=TFprds and http://www.youtube.c...rryandpineapple

#2 cufnc

cufnc

Mohit

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,679 posts

• United States

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

i don't see the big deal..i mean just cuz we're gay it doesn't make us any more special than her other fans..gloria trevi might like doing gay club concerts but shakira doesn't want to or can't..so what? and how exactly does she favor straight people more? i dont think she's said stuff like "now remember a person of the opposite sex while i sing this romantic song!" or whatever

Edited by cufnc, 19 July 2006 - 12:56 AM.

August 18, 2006. September 15, 2009. October 25, 2010. October 26, 2010.

#3 vindexa

vindexa

La Loba Loca

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 15,405 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    Suck mah dick, bitch!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

Woah, what are u talking about dude? I don't see any discrimination of the sort. Shakira loves her fans no matter what. We all love her and what she does and that's all that matters to her i think.

They were threatened by my intelligence and too stupid to know that's why they hated me.

#4 Sombra_de_ti

Sombra_de_ti

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Shaks music and just do everything that's related to Shakira.

• Netherlands

• Quote:
    Antes de conocerte el mundo era plano, aunque lo discuta usted Señor Galilei

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:15 AM

I don't get your point, cause when we want equal rights for gay and straight people, Shakira shouldn't make any difference at all (like doing a special gay/straight tour, or anything else) any difference between her treatment of her fans would mean discrimination. IMO you're discriminating straight people, or at least you want Shaki to do so.
YOUR AVATAR WAS TOO BIG SO IT WAS REMOVED. MAX 150KB. -Moderator-
Posted Image

#5 toxic girl

toxic girl

Trabajar cada dia para vivir en la vida...

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Interests:Music(Shakira,Sanz,etc.), motor bikes and cars(including F1)...and guys ofcourse...i forgot to add that football is my...um...3rd passion, especially real madrid but anyway I like any football match

• Croatia

• Quote:
    ...que es lo que te hace
    ser tan especial
    paralizas mi alma
    solo con hablar...

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:37 AM

where is the problem here. if u are gay that doesn't make you different from us, straight and i don't remember that shakira ever make any difference or i am wrong
Posted Image

#6 TomUk

TomUk

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

• Australia

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:41 AM

Shakira once flashed one of her boobs at me, and told me it was in honour of the gay fans.

#7 Liam__x

Liam__x

Wig Shop

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,033 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:29 AM

I don't really see the big deal anyway. lol

She's made it more than clear that she cares about her fans regardless... right?

Time to get creative

#8 Skyking

Skyking

Red State Infidel

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 11,527 posts
  • Interests:none ... of your beeswax

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:35 AM

Posted Image

USA #1

#9 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

At best tolerated from afar.

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld / So I can sigh eternally."

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:02 AM

I see his point... girls and gay-fans tend to be a bit more 'enthusiastic' about the artists they like.
I think he means that we should get 'extra' attention for the effort we put in.
His examples are good, Madonna, Gloria Trevi, Cher, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Cindy Lauper, heck! even Andy Griffin... They have all done at least 'something' cater to this audience instead of just putting us with the general market which tends to ignore us or can't relate to us.
Is not that Shakira is ignoring her gay fans.. It's just that she has not (yet) done anything that caters toward her queer fan base. (Ex: Appear on a gay show, gay club, gay news paper interview), so far everything seem very general (and in gender terms general is usually straight). I don't want to be treated un-equally but some reciprocation wouldn't be bad. :o
Anyways, those are just my two cents...

Edited by Vizruy, 19 July 2006 - 06:06 AM.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbo...om/vizruy.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">vizruy.</iframe>

"Te lloré hasta el extremo de lo que era posible, cuando creía que era invencible."

#10 Alex

Alex

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

How is Shakira a symbol for the gay world ? She's a hot straight female shaking her ass, that's as heterosexual for me as it could get.

#11 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:21 AM

Icon status (of artists) has nothing to do with their sexuallity.... at least for gays... :o

Edited by Vizruy, 19 July 2006 - 06:29 AM.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbo...om/vizruy.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">vizruy.</iframe>

"Te lloré hasta el extremo de lo que era posible, cuando creía que era invencible."

#12 DANNY -

DANNY -

El Mero Mero...™

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 17,047 posts
  • Interests:Well there isn't much to say.. i was born i grew up here i am.. i live in so cal, (LA) work out in the OC and spend 90% of my life there, so i guess im a LA/OC kinda guy.. =)<br /><br />I dont take life for granted allthough in the last few months i have been working very hard to finish school.. (hence why i am not online nearly as much any more) .. crazy to see im the number one poster on this board, yet 99.9999% of the newbies probably have no idea who i am lol.. <br /><br />well if you want to know more about me, please hit me up.

• United States

• Quote:
    top three reasons i dont come on the board anymore....
    Newbies.. newbies.. newbies

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

::scratch::
MEMBER #1
I (¯`´¯) Shakira

Posted Image Click here to Add me on Facebook

#13 Ashley

Ashley

Real Is My Middle Name

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,827 posts
  • Interests:Lots.

• United Kingdom

• Quote:
    "I'm flying more than a pilot!"

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

How is Shakira a symbol for the gay world ? She's a hot straight female shaking her ass, that's as heterosexual for me as it could get.

Yeah, Shakira would never play the gay card because she has too many hetero fans as well. If she came out as a gay icon it would put off any straight person that would maybe buy her music would be put off.

However, I've heard she's more of a lesbian icon than a gay icon.

WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?

ea8b5112-7f6e-4837-a197-d90827ea7031.jpg

Follow on Twitter | Tumblr

#14 vindexa

vindexa

La Loba Loca

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 15,405 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    Suck mah dick, bitch!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:58 AM

Well let me just point out the fact that she was on the Ellen Degeneres show and she is openly lesbian. So i'm sorry, i still don't really see the point.

@ Vizruy ~ since u say that female and gay fans tend to be the most entusiastic and u feel like the gay fans should get "extra" attention, would not mean that the girls should too? I mean either way, if one group gets special attention then the other people not in that group might get upset. I don't see why giving her fans equal attention is such a bad thing. :o I'm not trying to upset anyone, i'm just pointing that out.

They were threatened by my intelligence and too stupid to know that's why they hated me.

#15 Daz

Daz

Old Skool Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

• United Kingdom

• Quote:
    "Dear Shakira, I am no longer amused by your small and humble breasts!"

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:42 AM

If she didn't know she had gay fans before, she certainly did after meeting me! :(

Even though I would still do the dirty with her! :o

#16 Fabulosita

Fabulosita

• Silver Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    eeeeey!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

I don't get your point, cause when we want equal rights for gay and straight people, Shakira shouldn't make any difference at all (like doing a special gay/straight tour, or anything else) any difference between her treatment of her fans would mean discrimination. IMO you're discriminating straight people, or at least you want Shaki to do so.

so by catering to straight folks now, she's not discriminating against queers, but if she catered to queers she'd be discriminating against straights? that certainly doesnt sound equal.

straight people cant be discriminated against. they have all the sexual orientation power, and that wont change for a long time. since equality doesnt exist yet, theres no way to oppress those with power. asking shakira to acknowledge her queer fans is a purely positive thing. its ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of queers, not rejection of straights.

true that on vizruy's comments as well. and no, women dont need a special reaching-out-to because they receive it when they hear her music. shakiras music is hella "im a woman and i love you, a man" and straight women can already identify with that.
Check out my YouTube videos! Shakira and other funny ones at http://www.youtube.c...ile?user=TFprds and http://www.youtube.c...rryandpineapple

#17 LaPoeta

LaPoeta

Oldie

• Admin
  • 11,618 posts

• Switzerland

• Quote:
    Hay personas que llegan a nuestra vida y la cambian para siempre.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

Omg...some of you have a major problem...

Edited by LaPoeta, 19 July 2006 - 11:39 AM.

Posted Image

"No hables en plural."

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Vivi7SUI

#18 Lissy

Lissy

~~~~~~~~

• Platinum®
  • 9,588 posts

• United States

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

This topic is hilarious.... as much as gay people are always asking to be treated as EQUALS now you want them to be singled out and given special treament as if they weren't just like everyone else... Shaki loves her fans PERIOD... she doesn't need to do anything special for gays, women, men, children, etc. Her concerts aren't segregated so just go to one and enjoy it with the rest of your EQUALS and that should be sufficient... I'm sure she is aware that she has a gay following she doesn't need a press conference or special concerts so that they feel acknowledged...

Hay amores que se vuelven resistentes a los daños,
Como el vino que mejora con los años,
Asi crece lo que siento yo por ti.

Hay amores que se esperan al invierno y florecen
Y en las noches del otoño reverdecen
Tal como el amor que siento yo por ti...

#19 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

We are going to be running around in circles with this topics. it is easy to say that Shakira treats all her fans equally; This is not true. She is hetero and all her lyrics are completly heterocentric which is understandable (with the exeption of 'Pies Descalzos' were she admits to her opposition of 'sertir solo esto'). Because of this, she must reach out to her 'other fans' especially if they do as much promotion as we do.
Isn't this the same in other contexts??? Politics, Religion, Etc??? They make special accomedations, or treat minorities differently because it is necessay. If minorities are not acknowledged they are ignored.

This is a comment by Harry Blackhum on racism; which can be used in the context of this discussion as heteroism (word?) is rampant everywhere in the world:

In order to get beyond racism, we must first take account of race. There is no other way. And in order to treat some persons equally, we must treat them differently..

Edited by Vizruy, 19 July 2006 - 11:56 AM.

#20 vindexa

vindexa

La Loba Loca

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 15,405 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    Suck mah dick, bitch!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

This topic is hilarious.... as much as gay people are always asking to be treated as EQUALS now you want them to be singled out and given special treament as if they weren't just like everyone else... Shaki loves her fans PERIOD... she doesn't need to do anything special for gays, women, men, children, etc. Her concerts aren't segregated so just go to one and enjoy it with the rest of your EQUALS and that should be sufficient... I'm sure she is aware that she has a gay following she doesn't need a press conference or special concerts so that they feel acknowledged...

That was my point exactly Lissy. :(

@ Vizruy ~ I don't see the fact that her songs are about heterosexual relationships as being descrimatory in any way. She is a heterosexual female so of course she is going to sing about her relationships with men. If she sang about a relationship with a woman people would think she was bi. :o Which there is certainly nothing wrong with being bi, but Shakira is straight so i'm sure she would rather people not think otherwise.

#21 Lissy

Lissy

~~~~~~~~

• Platinum®
  • 9,588 posts

• United States

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

it is easy to say that Shakira treats all her fans equally; This is not true. She is hetero and all her lyrics are completly heterocentric which is understandable (with the exeption of 'Pies Descalzos' were she admits to her opposition of 'sertir solo esto'). Because of this, she must reach out to her 'other fans' especially if they do as much promotion as we do.
Isn't this the same in other contexts??? Politics, Religion, Etc??? They make special accomedations, or treat minorities differently because it is necessay. If minorities are not acknowledged they are ignored.

You are comparing Shakira who makes music to a politician who is out to gain votes from everyone... She is heterosexual so when she is writing deep personal songs about love she cannot come out with a line about two men or two women because she cannot relate to those feelings, now how does that automatically mean that she has ignored her gay following I do not understand...

She can sing about shaking her hips and everyone is welcome to sing along and shake their unlying hips along with her, it's not like she has said negative things about homosexuals or ever turned one down for an autograph or a hug based on the fact that he or she is gay so what more do homosexuals want? a shoutout at the beginning of a song a la Madonna? :o so she should say "Hey Boys" at the beginning of a couple of songs so that the gay men in the audience feel acknowledged? :(

Hay amores que se vuelven resistentes a los daños,
Como el vino que mejora con los años,
Asi crece lo que siento yo por ti.

Hay amores que se esperan al invierno y florecen
Y en las noches del otoño reverdecen
Tal como el amor que siento yo por ti...

#22 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

@ Vizruy ~ I don't see the fact that her songs are about heterosexual relationships as being descrimatory in any way.

I never said that Shakira discriminated against gays... Otherwise I would be the first one to write her off my books. I know she is OK with it, because she hugged me and my BF when he told her that we were together.
My point is that because her material is exclusively heterosexual (I.e. that excludes Homosexuals) she must reach out to that fan base, especially if it is as strong one, as Shakira's is. It would be polite.

You are comparing Shakira who makes music to a politician who is out to gain votes from everyone... She is heterosexual so when she is writing deep personal songs about love she cannot come out with a line about two men or two women because she cannot relate to those feelings, now how does that automatically mean that she has ignored her gay following I do not understand...

She can sing about shaking her hips and everyone is welcome to sing along and shake their unlying hips along with her, it's not like she has said negative things about homosexuals or ever turned one down for an autograph or a hug based on the fact that he or she is gay so what more do homosexuals want? a shoutout at the beginning of a song a la Madonna? :o so she should say "Hey Boys" at the beginning of a couple of songs so that the gay men in the audience feel acknowledged? :(

Well… To be completely candid,. I find your comments a bit patronizing.
I’ve stated that because her material is exclusively hetero she must do ‘extra’ in order to reach to the loyal fans who do not completely identify with her material.
I am not asking for Shakira to do anything stupid such as ‘say "Hey Boys" at the beginning of a couple of songs’. There are far more meaningful things she can do. Just to name a few: attend charity events that benefit gay youth, have a stronger stand in her fight against aid (not just for children in Africa), etc Instead of spending her time promoting a catchy though superficial song such as HDL.

#23 SHAKIHOLIC

SHAKIHOLIC

Que viva la ShakiMania

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,489 posts
  • Interests:SHAKIRA

• United States

• Quote:
    I whip it out whenever I can.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

well, just cuz she doesn't go to gay clubs or gay events doesnt mean she doesn't care. I'm gay and I don't feel left out, I think she is just trying to be diplomatic.
At some point we will have to agree to disagree.
Voice of the People, Democracy Now! The Exception To The Rulers!

#24 Fabulosita

Fabulosita

• Silver Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    eeeeey!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

well, just cuz she doesn't go to gay clubs or gay events doesnt mean she doesn't care. I'm gay and I don't feel left out, I think she is just trying to be diplomatic.

why should shakira want to be diplomatic? she's spoken out against war. she's spoken out about ignorance/racism (in "timor").

a good example of reaching out to her audience is that when she plays concerts in many countries, she says "donde esta mi gente?" i dont know if she means latinos or just colombians specifically, but she makes that connection. sure, they understand her music cuz they speak spanish, but she wants to reach out. thats awesome of her. she knows that even if her english records flop, her latin base will never fail her and thats her roots.

im not at all trying to down-talk that, rather i think it'd make sense for her to reach out to her queer audience, too. and it'd be even more awesome of her to attend the glaad media awards or something. why hasnt she written any songs about homophobia?

#25 Wolfy

Wolfy

Watch Out For The She Wolf In The Closet!

• Admin
  • 5,803 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "If it doesn't matter in five years, then it doesn't matter" ~ Cher, 2008

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:04 PM

She talks about her gay fans here:
http://www.shakirame...age=popup&id=69

Challenge Me On Songpop: ballboxworker

#26 Matt Damon

Matt Damon

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,651 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

it'd be even more awesome of her to attend the glaad media awards or something. why hasnt she written any songs about homophobia?

Trust me... She will never do something like that :blackdreamer:

;)

Edited by Vizruy, 19 July 2006 - 01:17 PM.

#27 Fabulosita

Fabulosita

• Silver Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    eeeeey!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:21 PM

She talks about her gay fans here:
http://www.shakirame...age=popup&id=69

i'd forgotten about that! it was fabulous of her to say that, but all ive heard from her are that and that she supports gay marriage. i want more!

i know she'll never reach out that strongly to us queer folks, but it'd be nice. a girl can dream.

#28 Skyking

Skyking

Red State Infidel

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 11,527 posts
  • Interests:none ... of your beeswax

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

:blackdreamer:

Posted Image

USA #1

#29 ....

Shakira!

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 4,297 posts

• United States

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

I love Shakira and her artistry, but as an avid fan im frustrated that she doesnt acknowledge her queer fans more. as i recall, she mentioned in one interview this year that she supports gay marriage. thats hot but doesnt she know that gay men are a huge fanbase of hers?

what about gloria trevi? she did a national gay club tour recently and just released a video "todos me miran" about a transgendered woman (and its fabulous). madonna isnt latin, but she acknowledges her gay boys at concerts, and knows that they are her audience. during romantic/sexy songs she says "ready boys?" instead of "ready girls?" cuz she knows gay boys care the most about her.

shakira really is a gay latin icon, and i hope she or her agents or someone browse these forums because i really want to convince her that we're important to her and she needs to acknowledge us.

lets zoom out for a sec and examine this forum. how many of the members are queer? HELLA, no?

shakira cant just pretend we dont exist and overlook us for the straights. shakira, sabes que existimos! no finjas lo opuesto! te queremos y debes querernos igual.

Edited by ...., 19 July 2006 - 03:39 PM.

#30 Joster

Joster

• 9,311 posts

• Colombia

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

I hope she doesn't do all you just said, Gloria Trevi for example is using the gay community to get some promotion, now that the gay people see that Gloria supports them, they will buy her albums...she is just using that community and i'm glad Shakira doesn't do that kind of stuff.

Also Shakira can be a gay latin icon but she isn't THE gay latin icon to shout at a concert, hello my gay friends or whatever....leave that to Paulina Rubio or something like that.

I think there should be enough with her words, she supports gays, thats it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users