FelipeM

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, Cinema, Music.

• Australia

• Quote:
    Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes...

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Idolator: 4 out of 5 stars :-)

Shakiras Shakira: Album Review
by Mike Wass

Shakiras hips dont lie but lead single Cant Remember To Forget You certainly does if youre looking for some indication of what to expect from the Colombian divas tenth studio album. The superstar always delivers an eclectic collection of songs but she really outdoes herself this time dabbling in reggae and rock, as well as flirting with EDM and even country music.
There was a lot of fighting with myself about what direction I wanted to go, Rihannas duet partner recently told Latina magazine. Throughout the process there were songs that I used to love at that moment and then hated a few minutes later. That indecisiveness is obvious to the listener as the 37-year-old manically hops genres with no rhyme or reason, but its also quintessentially Shakira (take a listen to the equally disjointed/amazing She Wolf) and, funnily enough, part of the albums considerable charm.

The hitmakers voice and, at times, demented lyrics are so distinctive that she can drop a massive house anthem or channel Taylor Swift on a fragile guitar-pop ditty and still sound very much herself. Its her favorite party trick and she puts it to good use on Shakira. Yes, a couple of tracks that fall flat and the LP would really benefit from a handful of radio-friendly singles (theres not a lot to choose from) but the journey is so weird and wonderful that I instantly wanted to take it again.
While were on the topic of singles, lets acknowledge how unfortunate the choices have been. Not because Cant Remember To Forget You and Empire are bad songs far from it but, rather, because they dont really represent the album. The former is a fantastic slice of reggae-tinged pop that worms its way into your consciousness after multiple listens. Which is great for an album track but not for a lead single from a superstar in search of a top 10 hit. Empire is an even more curious choice with its rock overtones and howled chorus. I genuinely love the song but its way too crazy for radio.

A much better option would have been Dr. Luke-produced party-starter Dare (La La La), which was Shakiras original choice. A video was filmed in 2013 but shelved when the diva became pregnant. Its a shame because the frankly-nuts dance anthem picks up where hits Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) and Hips Dont Lie left off by positioning South Americas sweetheart as the queen of dancefloor. Its euphoric, odd and destined to be huge internationally when the alternate World Cup version (its a bonus track) rolls out.

If youre hoping for more upbeat anthems like Dare (La La La), prepare for disappointment. The album is relatively ballad heavy but the smattering of dance-pop is very, very good. Take the Sia-penned/Greg Kurstin-produced Target bonus track Chasing Shadows. Its a darkly romantic delight that rivals She Wolf gem Men In This Town as Shakiras best electro-anthem. Spotlight, another Kurstin production, is a relentlessly catchy toe-tapper that sounds like a Kelly Clarkson pop/rock jam on acid complete with lyrics about laying golden eggs.

Shak dabbles in reggae-tinged pop again on LP highlight Cut Me Deep. A duet with Canadian band Magic! (they landed a huge international hit with Rude in 2013), the quirky collaboration sounds like No Doubt covering Pink and Nate Ruess similarly sparse, emotionally raw and oddly catchy Just Give Me A Reason. Nasris production he also happens to be Magic!s frontman is incredibly tight and I wouldnt be surprised if this is released as single in more adventurous territories.

The rest of the album is, surprisingly enough, largely comprised of melodic, rootsy pop with a slight country twist. Actually, the twist isnt even that slight on Blake Shelton duet Medicine. This finds the blond bombshell in full cowgirl mode, serving Carrie Underwood realness while trading verses with her fellow The Voice coach. Im not sure how well this will sit with country music aficionados but I like it.

The One Thing is a better example of Shakiras exploration of organic guitar-pop. This wouldnt sound out of place on a Taylor Swift album (well, perhaps on the genre-bridging Red) with its sunny sing-a-long chorus and infectious hand-claps and foot-stomps. Its relentlessly adorable and utterly irresistible. A description that applies to the more sedate but equally appealing 23″, which is an open love letter to boyfriend Gerard Piqué.

Do you believe in destiny because I do, as I did then, when you were only 23? she asks sweetly over a simple beat before freestyling a wicked vocal hook. You can even hear the couples child giggle at the end of the track. Its an avalanche of cute! Similarly serene is breezy guitar ballad Loca Por Ti, which was recorded in different languages for the various international editions of Shakira. Its an absolute winner.

The flip-side of that love fest is Chantal Kreviazuk-penned You Dont Care About Me. The bitter anthem finds Shakira tap into a similar vein of discontent as Dont Bother, letting her ex know exactly how she feels over sparse beats and brass. I say it confidently that you just dont care about me is her memorable refrain. This is a real grower. It takes a couple of listens but theres something mesmerizing about the mega-selling songstress in a foul mood.

There arent really any real misfires on the album but Broken Record is too saccharine for my liking and piano ballad That Way feels like an afterthought. Shakira is an extremely good collection of songs without an obvious hit or overarching sound. Its simply held together by the Colombians quirky lyrics and inimitable voice. And thats more than enough for the divas millions of fans around the globe.

Pops like: Shakira making up her own lyrics to No Doubt hits.

Possible Future Singles: Dare (La La La) is a no-brainer, while Chasing Shadows is ridiculously great. The One Thing, Cut Me Deep and Loca Por Ti could work in different markets.

#32 Eli Is Royalty

Eli Is Royalty

Ciega Sordomuda

• Platinum®
  • 2,690 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    FYI LOWER CASE IZ FOR THE LOWER CLASS- ELI

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

It's automatically being dismissed because it's Country and because it features Blake Shelton. Even one reviewer automatically assumed the collaboration was a business arrangement. Basically, it doesn't matter how good the song is, because critics instantly want to criticize it. 

The good thing, though, is that the public likes the song and even Nashville media likes it. It's currently the 3rd most downloaded Shakira song on iTunes in the U.S.

I don't follow the lessor known as taylor drift but are critics harsh on her too?

And the stars make sex to the universe tbh

#33 King Huba

King Huba

una abeja! puta madre!

• Platinum®
  • 2,673 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    I see you're going,
    So I play my music
    and watch you leave

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

mobwives-angenters.gif

tbh reviews can suk it..cause Shakira. is a masterpiece anyways

tumblr_nvi5xfw4581tj3p7zo1_500.gif

#34 FelipeM

FelipeM

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • 584 posts

• Australia

• Quote:

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Digital Spy also 4 out of 5.
I think it will get many more positive reviews.

#35 pacheito

pacheito

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

• United Kingdom

• Quote:
    This body of work is from Dominican Republic

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I like to check the Shakira's wikipedia page, and so far they just have posted the review from Billboard:

http://en.wikipedia....Shakira_(album)

11mdnxs.png

#36 Lorelei

Lorelei

Oral Fixation

• 7,778 posts

• Greece

• Quote:
    "i got my first record deal with Sony music which back then was CBS"

"Shakira has never been much of a lyricist." - Allison Stewart

"The new album is about clubers of our time.It's not about the clubs that exist, but the club that is in me"

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Which review was the one that said "Shakira was never much of a lyricist"? I laughed so hard at this quote 

2di0ia8.jpg

franzfergidon on Shakira being late for her concert during TSCO Tour: 

It's like HAI GUYZ I NO I KEPT U WAITIN BUT LOOK LOL, HEREZ MAI BOIFREND ISN'T HE SO KYUTE U JEAL? YEA I NO, LEMME SING ALL MAI SONGZ BOUT HIM NAO O N SRRY IF U MISS DA TRAIN HOME, DATZ NOT MY PROB, LOL. 

#37 TurkishShakiraFann

TurkishShakiraFann

Kill For Shakira

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,122 posts
  • Interests:Dance , Swim , Football , Basketball , Karate , Take Photos

• Turkey

• Quote:
    Shakira is My Oxygen

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

METACRITIC = 72 !!

http://www.metacriti.../critic-reviews

xEj78A.jpg

you can watch my video here http://goo.gl/Vo6RgB

#38 gammill1

gammill1

VIP

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    The most enchanting woman alive

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

It's automatically being dismissed because it's Country and because it features Blake Shelton. Even one reviewer automatically assumed the collaboration was a business arrangement. Basically, it doesn't matter how good the song is, because critics instantly want to criticize it. 

The good thing, though, is that the public likes the song and even Nashville media likes it. It's currently the 3rd most downloaded Shakira song on iTunes in the U.S.

I totally agree, its being "dismissed" by many but i think its gonna be a country hit and maybe more... the third time you listen to it with a open mind its hard not to fall in love with its many charms

tumblr_n7hsowYi281rk1fdao8_250.gif

#39 FelipeM

FelipeM

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • 584 posts

• Australia

• Quote:

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Another positive review (4/5)

http://www.examiner.com/review/album-review-shakira-settles-down-on-her-honest-and-heartfelt-self-titled-album 

#40 Suvad

Suvad

Enter ye therein in peace and serenity.

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,695 posts

• Saudi Arabia

• Quote:
    “When it comes to men it's known that I end up choosing wrong.”
    - Shakira

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

She Wolf still snatching wigs two albums later.  ::giggle::

#41 Hamza

Hamza

Chasing Shadows

• 1,401 posts
  • Interests:Travel

• Morocco

• Quote:
    The good guys are in power and the bad guys are in jail.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Shakira submits to Dr. Lukes dehumanizing ministrations and manages to come out the other end sounding only slightly less like herself. Dare (La La La) doubles as the background music for Shakiras new commercial for Activia yogurt, and it sounds like something Lady Gaga would have made before she became ridiculous. Its wonderful.

Can't get over all the shade thrown in here!
This WP review is interesting. I like how they say that Shakira manages to stay true to herself and unique even with mainstream producers. Some very good ideas in there. Agreed on the fact that Spotlight is the weakest song of the album. But saying Shak is not a real lyricist is not serious...
Sep 30, 2009 / Paris, FR
Dec 06, 2010 / Paris, FR
Jun 13, 2011 / Paris, FR
Jun 14, 2011 / Paris, FR
Mar 26, 2014 / New York, NY
Jun 05, 2014 / Washington, DC
Jun 06, 2014 / Washington, DC

#42 Mick

Mick

Give It Up To Me

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 14,652 posts
  • Interests:None.

• United States

• Quote:
    "Ya no se si he vivido diez mil dias o un dia diez mil veces."

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Another positive review (4/5)
http://www.examiner.com/review/album-review-shakira-settles-down-on-her-honest-and-heartfelt-self-titled-album 

For some reason your link didn't work, but I found it through Google...awesome review...

http://www.examiner....lf-titled-album

Edited by Mick, 25 March 2014 - 07:32 PM.

"Si Pudiera Exocisarme De Tu Voz"

#43 Lorelei

Lorelei

Oral Fixation

• 7,778 posts

• Greece

• Quote:

"The new album is about clubers of our time.It's not about the clubs that exist, but the club that is in me"

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

This counts for Metacritic sadly

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2x66Uqnzh

2di0ia8.jpg

It's like HAI GUYZ I NO I KEPT U WAITIN BUT LOOK LOL, HEREZ MAI BOIFREND ISN'T HE SO KYUTE U JEAL? YEA I NO, LEMME SING ALL MAI SONGZ BOUT HIM NAO O N SRRY IF U MISS DA TRAIN HOME, DATZ NOT MY PROB, LOL. 

#44 RLW

RLW

Love in the Time of Cholera

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,678 posts
  • Interests:Science and Mathematics

• United States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

well it's what I always say...   you can have a successful career or you can become a critic

#45 Shakira fan

Shakira fan

Shakira fan

• Platinum®
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I just hope Rolling Stone has something nice to say *worried*

I don't need this:)

#46 Valdo Cooper

Valdo Cooper

Lo Que Es Amar...

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 11,503 posts
  • Interests:Música, Cine, Cocina, Dibujar.

• Mexico

• Quote:
    "I'm a Mexican Irish"

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Sometimes acclaimed albums by critics turn into a total flop. Sometimes criticized albums by critics turn into a total success.

2j4w07n.jpg

¿Conoces Al Fenómeno? ¿Conoces A La Mujer?

Dolce Far Niente

Shakira es perra© | Edo 2010 / ¡MARICO, SHAKIRA CANTÓ DEVOCIÓN!© | Edo 2011 / SHAKIRA YA LA VA A CAGAR DE NUEVO© | Edo 2012

#47 CTZ

CTZ

I'm all id.

• 12,093 posts
  • Interests:Music, art, comics, movies, history...

• United States

• Quote:
    "In the name of the moon, I will punish you."

"I have no idea of where I want to go musically, but I'm fine that way. I don't need to remain faithful to any concept, you know."

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Sometimes acclaimed albums by critics turn into a total flop. Sometimes criticized albums by critics turn into a total success.

very true, sw got a lot of high praise, but commercially didn't do as well, so we can't base too much on reviews.

The Empire of the Thieving Rabid Sun Wolves Whose Hips Don't Dare to Lie 

#48 Valdo Cooper

Valdo Cooper

Lo Que Es Amar...

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 11,503 posts
  • Interests:Música, Cine, Cocina, Dibujar.

• Mexico

• Quote:
    "I'm a Mexican Irish"

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

very true, sw got a lot of high praise, but commercially didn't do as well, so we can't base too much on reviews.

In the other hand, look at 'Born To Die' by Lana.
---
What is RS waiting for? :P jaja.

2j4w07n.jpg

¿Conoces Al Fenómeno? ¿Conoces A La Mujer?

Dolce Far Niente

Shakira es perra© | Edo 2010 / ¡MARICO, SHAKIRA CANTÓ DEVOCIÓN!© | Edo 2011 / SHAKIRA YA LA VA A CAGAR DE NUEVO© | Edo 2012

#49 Lorelei

Lorelei

Oral Fixation

• 7,778 posts

• Greece

• Quote:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

Was this posted?

http://www.billboard...by-track-review

2di0ia8.jpg

#50 Nick Nifty

Nick Nifty

Boss

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,290 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    I am a meat Popsicle

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

Was this posted?

http://www.billboard...by-track-review

Good Stan
November 30 2002, September 13 2006, September 28 2010, September 21 2012, January 5 2018, August 14 2018

#51 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

Let's make our own metacritic/rotten tomatoes:

Positive:
NewsDay
All Music
El Heraldo
Digital Spy
USA Today
Boston Globe
Washington Post
Billboard
Idolator
Examiner
The Independent

Negative:
ABC News
LA Times

Result: 85% ;)

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#52 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

entertainment.ie

Always the weird cousin to the Pop Princesses, but still very much welcome at the head table whenever there's a reunion, Shakira very much dances to the beat of her own drum. Naturally achieving that kind of multi-cultural exoticness that Christina Aguilera is constantly striving for, but achieving popularity without "selling out" like Nelly Furtado did, Shakira always seemed ever so slightly ahead of the curve. Her 2009 album She Wolf saw her collaborating with Pharrell Williams before it was cool again, and just as she was achieving massive popularity in 2010, she releases a mostly Spanish album, and goes on hiatus to have a family.

Now she's back after a four year break, and the production line-up is, once again, quite forward thinking. Afrojack, Dr. Luke, Billboard, Circuit, Greg Kurstin; all very now, all very on trend. Then the first track plays, the soon-to-be insta-hit of the summer "Dare (La La La)", which features all but one of the aforementioned producers, who then never appear again on the rest of the album. Track two is the current single "Can't Remember To Forget You", given some added star-power thanks to a not-trying-very-hard Rihanna, and sounding like something you'd hear No Doubt release on a very good day.

Then, quite suddenly, the rest of the album blurs into one, long, similar sounding song, with only a few peaks throughout. Next single "Empire", produced by Steve Mac (the guy behind most of the hits for The Saturdays and The Wanted), sounds a little manic and ludicrous during the chorus, but loses all the steam every time the verse comes back around. "You Don't Care About Me" starts off pretty well, but ends up being nearly four minutes of build up to a massive chorus or base-drop that never arrives. "Cut Me Deep" returns to the ska-rock feel of "Can't Remember", but without any of the sexy, sing-along lyricism.

The Greg Kurstin produced track, "Spotlight", is one of the few highlights, but it really sounds like a song that was intended for Avril Lavigne or Jessie J or Lily Allen, pretty much anyone but Shakira. Then there's the trifecta of "Broken Record", "Medicine" and "23", all of which sound like Taylor Swift B-sides. The English portion of the album ends with "The One Thing", which is yet another mild-rock'n'b love song that is so forgettable, we couldn't remember how the chorus went mere seconds after the song ended.

Closing out the album, there's the Spanish language version of "Can't Remember To Forget You", and "Loca Por Ti", a Spanish-guitar bedroom slow jam that is more likely to put people to sleep. The intent of the album is clear, to return to the roots of Oral Fixation with rock jam love songs and sexy time booty shakers. Unfortunately, there are far too few of the latter, and all of the former are far too samey. Just download the singles and leave the rest.

Review by Rory Cashin | TWO STARS

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#53 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

ontheredcarpet.com

It's been nearly four years since Shakira released an album, and in that time, the Columbian pop singer has experienced a number of personal and professional changes -- ones that are evident on her 10th studio record.

By the time she released her last album, 2010's "Sale el Sol," Shakira was a renowned global sensation in music, amassing numerous hits over the span of a decade that included "Whenever, Wherever," "Hips Don't Lie," "She Wolf" and the World Cup-assisted hit "Waka Waka."

With her continued success as an artist came success in her personal life, as she began dating Spanish football player Gerard Pique and later welcomed their first son together, Milan, in January 2013. Additionally, Shakira is serving as a coach on the popular NBC singing competition show "The Voice," where she mentors new artists into achieving the same dream of being a global singing sensation.

On "Shakira," her first self-titled album in her career, the singer blends an array of musical flavors that are familiar to albums of the past, only this time bringing together all in one, eclectic package. Mixing a little bit of dance-pop, Spanish, reggae and rock influences, "Shakira" provides fans with a glimpse into the way she loves, both in her relationship and as a mother.

"Shakira" is currently available for digital download on iTunes. Check out a track-by-track review of the standard edition of the album below.

1. "Dare (La La La)" - The album opens with a straight up electro-pop dance jam. The song describes a scene in which she and a man she finds attractive interact on the dance floor, an attraction neither of them can deny. Lyrics for the song include, "Is it true that you love me / I dare you to kiss me." Reminiscent of past electro-pop hits like "Give It Up to Me," the song has a grimy, sweltering feel to it that will make it a favorite among global club-goers.

2. "Can't Remember to Forget You" featuring Rihanna - Released as the album's first single, Shakira trades verses with fellow pop diva Rihanna in what can only be describes as one of the hottest female collaborations in recent years. The two sing about a man that caused them trouble in the past, but despite all the turmoil, they can't shake him no matter how hard they try. The song touches on influences both singers are known for, by incorporating reggae-sounding tinges in the up-tempo track. In addition to having a sexy music video, the song is a standout on the album.

3. "Empire" - Shakira begins the song with raw vocals over a piano, showcasing her truly unique vocal abilities. The song's slow first verse builds to a strong, loud stadium rock-sounding power ballad, which finds the singer channeling Coldplay-style vocal effects. Lyrically, the song is about two people who have an attraction so strong and so profound, that they are like two empires forming as one. The song is special for its live capabilities, one that can be stripped down and one that will make for memorable stadium-wide sing-alongs.

4. "You Don't Care About Me" - Shakira may be in love in real life, but she's not afraid to call out a lover who wronged her in the past. The song describes a relationship in which her lover won't let her go, despite her making it clear things were not working out. Lyrics for the song include, "Before you came along it was all beautiful / I have nothing left in my heart, in my soul / Should have never helped you become so powerful / But I saw a champion in your eyes." While it is not a standout track on the album, the song is a necessary layer to the album overall.

5. "Cut Me Deep" featuring MAGIC! - In one of the album's more obvious reggae-influenced tracks, Shakira sings about a relationship that was so strong that it has left both parties scared and deeply changed. The song is reminiscent of sounds perfected by No Doubt in their early years, making the song part nostalgic for the song while maintaining a current, eclectic vibe to it. By including the reggae band MAGIC! on the track, "Cut Me Deep" has a true authenticity to it the other reggae-sounding pop songs don't have, making it a standout on the album.

6. "Spotlight" - Channeling her inner Avril Lavigne with a blend of electro-pop and rock, Shakira sings about not giving up her feelings of love for a particular person. Lyrics for the song include, "Here is my life in the spotlight / And it's hurting my eyes 'cause it's so bright / But you are the thing I was missing, that I couldn't find / And I wouldn't give up even if I end up blind." When stacked up against prior tracks on the album, this mid-way track perfectly gives listeners a look at just how varied the sounds are on the record.

7. "Broken Record" - In another song that showcases her unique vocals, Shakira sings about reaffirming someone she loves of her affection, having said so "700 times." Taking on a more stripped down, acoustic feel, the song is perhaps one of the most relatable on the album, as she tackles the topic of insecurities that go unspoken in a relationship. Unlike many of her contemporaries, when Shakira does acoustic, she sounds sincere and genuine in both her vision of the song and the delivery. For its candor and stripped down arrangement, the song is a standout on the album.

8. "Medicine" featuring Blake Shelton - Things get a little bit country when Shakira teams up with her sparring partner on "The Voice," country superstar Blake Shelton. The song, which uses love as a metaphor for medicine, the two use drinking analogies for coping with pain, with Shakira singing, "I reach for the bottle of whiskey," while Shelton replies, "Straight, on the rocks." Fans of "The Voice" will find the lyric amusing, considering Shakira constantly pokes fun at Shelton's love for drinking on the show. Shakira's voice lends well to the country-inspired track, and it's nice to hear the two singers not "fighting" for once.

9. "23" - Shakira sings about falling in love on this track, possibly about her boyfriend Gerard Pique. Lyrically, the song describes a time when the singer didn't think love was possible, until she met the man of her dreams. She sings, "A couple years ago I was lonely / I used to think that there was no God / But then you looked at me with your blue eyes / And my agnosticism turned into dust." It should be noted that Pique has blue eyes and met Shakira around the time he was 23. The song is a special peek into her personal life, and even features a special shout from her and Pique's son, Milan.

10. "The One Thing" - In the album's final English track, Shakira sings about the unexplainable love she has for her son Milan. Lyrics include, "You are the one thing that I got right / It's a fickle world, it's a fickle world / You turned the darkness into sunlight / I'm a lucky girl, yeah I'm a lucky girl." Pop stars who become mothers will often sing about how their new baby has changed their life in a unique way, in many ways to be able to relate with their growing fans. Shakira does this with charm and light, all the while giving fans an opportunity to dance.

11. "Nunca Me Acuerdo de Olvidarte" - As the Spanish version of "Can't Remember To Forget You," Shakira takes full command of the vocals, giving the already cool and sexy song new life. The singer will often releases Spanish versions of her popular English hits, showing truly how versatile her appeal is across the world.

12. "Loca por Ti" - In the album's Spanish closing number, Shakira singing about being crazy for the person she loves and drinking to love in a celebratory manner. With one final ode to love on an album that also explores lust, loss and regret, Shakira appears to have come full circle in her quest for love. As a mother, partner and performer, Shakira exudes a confidence with a softness that makes her stand out among her contemporaries, but in a non-threatening way that allows her fans to feel personally connected to her on-stage and off.

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#54 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:23 AM

directlyrics.com

With a one year of delay, but it's finally here. Shakira's self-titled tenth studio album is in stores already (released March 25th) and depending where you buy it and how much you are willing to spend, you'll get more or less tracks. There's the 'standard', the 'deluxe' and the 'Target' editions. "Shakira" is one of Shakira's most anticipated albums especially due to the duet with Rihanna. And fans are already labeling the album "...Shakira's best since "Laundry Service"...". Would you agree? One the peculiarities in the album is that "Shakira" is the first where the Colombian star has relinquished power in the 'songwriting' department. Without further ado, read out review of the album below!

1. "Dare (La La La)": If there was a list including the most-anticipated songs in the history of the industry, "Dare (La La La)" would have to be on it. We've been waiting to hear the full and high-quality version of this song since late 2012 when Shakira shot its music video in Portugal. The Dr. Luke, Cirkut and Billboard co-produced 'dance' anthem was supposed to be the first single from "Shakira" but Shakira got pregnant and everything was postposned, and "Dare (La La La)" eventually lost its "first single" title. The song is so catchy, the beat is infectious, the reggaeton verses are fun... I mean, what else? This is a 'monster hit' waiting to happen. Next single, please? 5 / 5

2. "Can't Remember to Forget You" (featuring Rihanna): We all love this one, but I'm not afraid to say we all expected something 'bigger' from a Shakira and Rihanna (just like the days of "Beautiful Liar" with Beyoncé). The reggae-rock track is the first single from the album. The verses are so 'sing along' worthy, and the chorus is really powerful. Bad things? Shakira's English is at times difficult to understand, and there had to be more Rihanna singing! Oh well. Music was sexy, though. 4 / 5

3. "Empire": Second single from "Shakira". "Epic ballad" is the perfect definition of this song. Shakira sounds like rockstar in it, and the "oooh oooh" adlibs are so fitting in this song. Not sure I can't understand the lyrics... I guess it has something to do with Shakira comparing the feeling of being in love with an empire. 3.8 / 5

4. "You Don't Care About Me": This song makes me remember of Fiona Apple's "Every Single Night" so much. It's got to be the beat and the similar melody in the verses, right? Good 'album song'. Chorus is best part. Having a fight with your man? Put "You Don't Care About Me" on full blast and you sing that chorus to him! 3.5 / 5

5. "Cut Me Deep": Break-up sucks. And you don't have to tell that to Shakira. She talks about it in this ska song featuring Toronto-based band Magic! Shakira's heart is full of wounds because the abandonment by her ex has 'cut deep' in her. Ska and Shakira make a great mix. She should explore this genre more. 3 / 5

6. "Spotlight": Shakira channels Alanis Morissette in "Spotlight". Rock song with a great mellow melody in the verses, and a explosive chorus. "Spotlight" is clearly a reference to the first days of public outings with boyfriend Gerard Piqué. Shakira is willing to stand the public scrutiny and paparazzi flashes 'cause she's finally found true love 3.5 / 5

7. "Broken Record": Guitar-driven ballad. Swear to God the first guitars sound exactly like "Hey There Delilah". Lyrics are cute (again, Gerard Piqué is Shakira's inspiration). They talk about fights between them. Piqué has doubts Shakira will stay with him in view of all the pressure the media and press are putting on their relationship. However, Shakira tells him over and over again (sounding like a broken record) that he should not be afraid. They will stay together 'til the end of times. 3.2 / 5

8. "Medicine" (featuring Blake Shelton): Shakira's much-talked about duet with Blake Shelton. It's a slow jam with 'country' influences. It's good but... it just sounds too 'chessy' for my taste. Love is the perfect medicine for Shakira. 2.5 / 5

9. "23": Without a doubt Shakira's most-personal song on the album. She's made references to Gerard Piqué in previous songs but this ballad "23" is truly special because Shakira narrates in it about they day she fell in love with him back in 2010 when Piqué was only 23 and the Colombian diva was 3 / 5

10. "The One Thing": A rock mid-tempo like the ones Shakira used to record back in the day. That chorus is just to die for! 'Hit waiting to happen', no doubt! 5 / 5

11. "Nunca Me Acuerdo de Olvidarte": The Spanish version of "Can't Remember to Forget You". Miles better than the original only because you can understand Shak. 4.1 / 5

12. "Loca por Ti": Closing track and in Spanish. A ballad. One that is perfect to listen to and sing to your partner on the beach. Title means, "crazy for you". One last dedication to Mr. Piqué. Shakira's crazy about him and wants to be with him forever. 3.8 / 5

Final rating: 3.7 / 5

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#55 Lorelei

Lorelei

Oral Fixation

• 7,778 posts

• Greece

• Quote:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Closing out the album, there's the Spanish language version of "Can't Remember To Forget You", and "Loca Por Ti", a Spanish-guitar bedroom slow jam that is more likely to put people to sleep. The intent of the album is clear, to return to the roots of Oral Fixation with rock jam love songs and sexy time booty shakers. Unfortunately, there are far too few of the latter, and all of the former are far too samey. Just download the singles and leave the rest.

Review by Rory Cashin | TWO STARS

OF2 didn't have sexy time booty shakers apart from HDL 09954248.gif

Another SW stan, seethe !  :lo:

2di0ia8.jpg

#56 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

huffingtonpost.com

'Shakira' Review: Tenth Album Isn't Her Best

AP | by MESFIN FEKADU

Shakira, "Shakira" (RCA Records)

Shakira's domination in America has dwindled since she became a hip-swiveling goddess of festive pop hits like "Whenever, Wherever" and "Hips Don't Lie."

Already a superstar in her native Colombia, the multitalented singer-songwriter-instrumentalist took the American pop scene by storm when she made her U.S. language debut in 2001 with personal, rich songs about romance and more. But her recent albums haven't matched the spark, edge and charisma from her work a decade ago, and her new self-titled release, while enjoyable at times, doesn't showcase this Grammy-winning, Golden Globe-nominated superstar in the right light.

"Shakira," her tenth album, features the 37-year-old taking a back seat as lead songwriter and producer, and that doesn't come off as a wise move. "Dare (La La La)," helmed by Dr. Luke, Max Martin and others, sounds like a Jennifer Lopez song, and that's not a compliment (sorry, Jenny). While Shakira's stint as a judge on "The Voice" has been pleasurable to watch, her duet with fellow mentor Blake Shelton on the country-feeling "Medicine" is a bore, though it was co-written by Academy Award nominee and hit country songwriter Hillary Lindsey.

Even the duet with Rihanna, the up-tempo lead single "Can't Remember to Forget You," comes off as a cry for a pop hit. The song lacks energy though two superstars are part of it, and the collaboration feels forced (Rihanna and Shakira are both signed to Roc Nation management).

The album's lyrics also lack emotion and depth. It's a far stretch from Shakira's earlier songs, such as her Latin pop breakthrough "Estoy Aqui (I'm Here)" or the part-gritty, part- bouncy "La Tortura." The new album follows in the footsteps of her last two albums, 2009's "She Wolf" and 2010's "Sale el Sol," which have bright spots, but still didn't carry the oomph and appeal of her earlier work.

Shakira does move the needle a bit on the reggae-laced "Cut Me Deep," which features the band Magic! Nasir Atweh, the band's lead singer, is part of the songwriting duo The Messengers, who have penned hits for Justin Bieber, Chris Brown and Pitbull.

"Spotlight," co-written by Lindsey and produced by Greg Kurstin, sounds arena-ready, which is excellent for an entertaining performer like Shakira. And the album's most honest moment is "23," a sweet ode to her 1-year-old son's father, soccer player Gerard Pique, who is 10 years younger than Shakira (he was 23 when they met). She co-wrote the simple guitar tune with Luis Fernando Ochoa, who collaborated with Shakira on her third album and major label debut, 1996's "Pies Descalzos."

Full-blown reunion please?

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#57 Denran

Denran

Utraviolence

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

• Belgium

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:31 AM

Funny how many journalists actually know her career ranking from quoting Men in the town or praising Estoy Aqui.

I must say I unfortunately mostly agree with the LA Times review...

#58 Wolf-Hunter

Wolf-Hunter

♪♫♪Near Perihelion♫♪♫

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,550 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "I'm Colombian and nothing will change that." - Shakira

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:32 AM

This album is getting a lot of hate. How weird... I mean is the most American radio friendly album but some are complaining it doesn't have Shakira's quirkiness or typical mix of things. I agree that it has lots of soft songs but they aren't bad, anyway I'm glad it did hit # 1 unlike she wolf her last English album.

hsl2io.jpg

#59 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

independent.co.uk - I found this on Shakira. wiki page. I remember the comments to this review but I think it wasn't posted in this topic.

Kevin Harley

Shakira Shakira (RCA)

Hip-twizzling, Game of Thrones-dressing Colombian pop star Shakira is audio Marmite. To the 60 million people whove bought her records shes a yodelling, lyrical genius. To everyone else she sounds like a strangulated sheep.

After a four-year hiatus, Shakiras 10th album is full of raggae-tinged, bouncy melodies and absurd, occasionally quite poetic lyrics: the stars make love to the universe on ballad Empire. Teaming up with Rihanna on I Cant Remember To Forget You is ironically memorable and Cut Me Deep, her collaboration with Canadian raggae-pop band Magic!, is also catchy. But Medicine, a duet with country star Blake Shelton, is a stretch too far, even by Shakiras infinitely flexible standards.

If you posted a review in a blog or site please share.

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 04:42 AM.

#60 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

I wanted to make something like metacritic but most of the reviews don't have a rating. I'll divide the good and the bad like in rotten tomatoes does for movies and I'll try to make an average score too. Sorry for the amount of posts.

Btw A- is the same as 9/10, right?

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 27 March 2014 - 04:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users