Photo
- - - - -

Do You Like The New Ojos Asi Dance?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the new ojos asi dance?

Do you like the new ojos asi dance?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Melt Away

Melt Away

Objection

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

I personally was very disappointed that she cut out the traditional ojos asi dance when i was in france. I mean sure, it's old, we've seen it all before, but she's been doing it since like 1999 and it's become one of her trademark dances. I could even memorise and dance to it (as much of a crap dancer I am) and I think that the new dance is very underwhelming compared to the old one.

Posted Image

THE UNFORTUNATE HAIRCUT+TRAGIC LOSS OF MAKEUP

TAKE A MOMENT AND DROP BY AND VOTE IN THESE THREADS. Takes literally 30 seconds for each one!!
Vote for your favorite ballads here!
Vote for your favorite looks here!
Vote for your favorite tour performances here!

#2 rpvee

rpvee

The Ojos Asi Guy

• 7,033 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "It's funny that you owe... you owe so much to a song, you know, it's such an abstract concept." - Shakira

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

I really can't choose any of those:

"Yes, it's better!" - I don't think it's better, I prefer the older one, even if it is just because of nostalgia and what I'm used to. But I also think it suits the song more.

"No, it's worse and more boring!" - Is it as fitting and nostalgic? No. But it's not really "worse" either, just different, and certainly not boring.

"Equally!" - Not this either, I still prefer the older one.

"Eh, never liked either.." - I like them both.

So it's hard to choose, because I do like them both a lot, it's just I like the old one more.

#3 ejovilim

ejovilim

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,181 posts
  • Interests:Faculty,music,movies,tv shows,books...

• Yugoslavia

• Quote:
    ...De tanto sumar,pierdes la cuenta,porque uno y uno no siempre son dos...

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

The new dance is not bad,but if she had planned to change it,she could've done it much better,with different clothes(i hate that scarf) and a bit more mystical,sensual.

#4 goingtobegone

goingtobegone

Pies Descalzos

• Platinum®
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

I love the new dance, and especially that she does the dance at the end of the catwalk..
I think it is an intimate moment in one way :D
And she is sooo incredibly talented, and this dance really shows it!

#5 ecualombian23

ecualombian23

Pies Descalzos

• Platinum®
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Shakira, Dance, Poetry, Animals, Marine Aquariums, Exercise

• United States

• Quote:
    Despues de la tormenta, Sale El Sol

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

I love the new dance! we finally get to see Shakira belly dance in a traditional way. Plus, the new dance contains all of the old dance moves, theyre just scattered.

#6 rpvee

rpvee

The Ojos Asi Guy

• 7,033 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    "It's funny that you owe... you owe so much to a song, you know, it's such an abstract concept." - Shakira

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Plus, the new dance contains all of the old dance moves, theyre just scattered.

This is true. :shakirachick276:

#7 shakilover222

shakilover222

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,051 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    Dices que no tiene caso reaccinar asi, que has echo tu eleccion que viva y deje vivir

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

I like the new one maybe beause she always did the other dance but this one has all the moves as the old one and its longer and i like the outfit. The little metal at the top and flowy material on bottom i love it!!!!
Posted Image

#8 El Misterioso

El Misterioso

What's up?

• Platinum®
  • 1,292 posts

• Germany

• Quote:
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. [Samuel Johnson]

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

I've voted for equally. The new OA dance is an evolution of the traditional one. It preserves all elements we know from the past, and is an interesting new interpretation of an old song as well. Her old OA belly-dancing is pure nostalgia to my mind. It remembers me in many awesome situations of my life.

#9 ajathefairy

ajathefairy

LA HADA

• Platinum®
  • 2,021 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy interacting with all types of people from all types of cultures.

• United States

• Quote:
    It is a black day. But I am a cookiemaker. I slap pink icing on the sadness and lick my fingers.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

I have to admit, finding out that the percussion she's dancing to isn't original has made me feel funny. I mean all those drums and drummers she has.....they couldn't come up with their own music?!

Yes, the new one is longer and that is a big positive. Watching Shakira dance for longer gives me greater pleasure.

In the end, I chose to love them both equally. I'm glad she tried to give us something new, and I wanted something new, but I can't say there was anything wrong with the old dance either.

Posted Image

#10 SHAKILICIOUS

SHAKILICIOUS

Barefoot Diamond

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,306 posts

• Greece

• Quote:
    We come alone and alone we die.
    -Marina Lambrini Diamandis

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Me too i cannot say there was sth wrong with the old dance but in my eyes it just got....OLD...you know? :P
I love the new dance and all the new elements shes added in the song in general but i cant help it HATING so much the awful kitch leopard/whatever skirt :/

#11 loca!x

loca!x

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

• Scotland

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

i like the new dance a little bit more than the old dance
its good to see a change

Shakira!x
Dont play around because im for real!x
Posted Image
Posted Image
19/12/2010!x
Shakira-Myidol!x

#12 Newenkelen

Newenkelen

Naturalmente...

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,801 posts
  • Quote:
    Be careful amigo!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

I looooove the new one, the music, everything. I was very bored of the previous one because I overplayed it haha.
Posted Image

Keep Abortion Legal... for the sake of music.

#13 ecualombian23

ecualombian23

Pies Descalzos

• Platinum®
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Shakira, Dance, Poetry, Animals, Marine Aquariums, Exercise

• United States

• Quote:
    Despues de la tormenta, Sale El Sol

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Hey guys, i made a studio version of the new Ojos asi dance Shaki does on her tour, i dont know how to publicly post it so pm me if your interested in it, i would be more than happy to email it to you. Or if someone can help me on how to post it, that would be nice too lol :)

#14 SHAKILICIOUS

SHAKILICIOUS

Barefoot Diamond

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,306 posts

• Greece

• Quote:
    We come alone and alone we die.
    -Marina Lambrini Diamandis

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

pm me :khaelo:

#15 Mostafa1992

Mostafa1992

A song written by God

• Platinum®
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:Shakira, Facebook, Video games, Football, Travelling, Shopping, Driving,

• Iran

• Quote:
    "I live for freedom but freedom is a lie."

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:12 AM

i love the new dance, too!!!!! it's 100 times better than old one, the old dance was too short.....i think the new one is the best one :unome:

ZgfdxR9.png

#16 Aliona

Aliona

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

• Russia

• Quote:
    No one wants to hurt me,
    But everybody tries (Emilie Autumn)

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:41 AM

I chose "It's better", but to be honestly, I don't think that it's really sooo much better, simply it's something new, fresh, and yes, just as many of you noticed, it's longer :shak-i-sabel:
Of course, I love the classic dance since Anfibio Tour, she always performed it wonderfully, and new dance has many moves from that one...and new intereseting moves. I'm studying bellydance for some months, and I can say, old dance is closer to classic Holywood bellydance and new version is closer to tribal, modern oriental one. They are partly similar, partly different and both good. :blackdreamer:
I'm glad that she keeps on changing classic hits, making them fresh and interesting. It's a right way! :P
Posted Image

#17 Dyego Halliwell Mebarak

Dyego Halliwell Mebarak

Fan

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

• Chile

• Quote:
    No se puede morir con tanto veneno

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

I choose equally
I never went to any of Shakira's concerts until Sale el Sol Tour concert in Chile, but I saw her earlier performances, and also I bought like a year ago the MTV Unplugged DVD
And I love the old dance, it was short but it had so many elements from the music video, which along with Sale el Sol is one of my favourite music videos, also it left some breath in her lungs so she can sing as powerful as she always do.
But, the new dance contains lots of new elements, a lot of belly dance and I think, arabic moves, and it retains mostly all of her earlier dance performance, but lets her breathless (since I've seen many performances where she can't sing until the full chorus)

El cielo esta cansado ya de ver la lluvia caer...

---

No tengo firma alguna para poner aquí, y que?

#18 Suvad

Suvad

Enter ye therein in peace and serenity.

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,693 posts

• Saudi Arabia

• Quote:
    “When it comes to men it's known that I end up choosing wrong.”
    - Shakira

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

It's horrendous. She's completely shed Ojos Asi of all its mysticism and sensuality by choosing to perform this kitsch, uninspired and unoriginal imitation of traditional belly-dancing.
04444.jpg

#19 rpvee

rpvee

The Ojos Asi Guy

• 7,033 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

It's horrendous. She's completely shed Ojos Asi of all its mysticism and sensuality by choosing to perform this kitsch, uninspired and unoriginal imitation of traditional belly-dancing.

Well that's a bid harsh. If anything, it's the removal of Middle Eastern instrumentation that "sheds" Ojos of its "mysticism", in my opinion.

#20 Suvad

Suvad

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,693 posts

• Saudi Arabia

• Quote:
    - Shakira

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

Well that's a bid harsh. If anything, it's the removal of Middle Eastern instrumentation that "sheds" Ojos of its "mysticism", in my opinion.

I'm confused. Which Middeastern instrumentation removal are we talking about?
04444.jpg

#21 rpvee

rpvee

The Ojos Asi Guy

• 7,033 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

I'm confused. Which Middeastern instrumentation removal are we talking about?

Everything? lol. There's no more strings, or ouds, or tribal drums, except for the intro and dance break.

#22 Suvad

Suvad

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,693 posts

• Saudi Arabia

• Quote:
    - Shakira

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

Everything? lol. There's no more strings, or ouds, or tribal drums, except for the intro and dance break.

Oh lol, yeah I agree. All in all, I think the dancing and the instrumentation removal along with the poor replacement of other aspects (such as the costume) have all contributed to the distorting of this era's Ojos Asi. The song has been terribly de-mystified, and if I may, de-Shakirized and made too Popularized.
04444.jpg

#23 rpvee

rpvee

The Ojos Asi Guy

• 7,033 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

Oh lol, yeah I agree. All in all, I think the dancing and the instrumentation removal along with the poor replacement of other aspects (such as the costume) have all contributed to the distorting of this era's Ojos Asi. The song has been terribly de-mystified, and if I may, de-Shakirized and made too Popularized.

What exactly makes the dancing so bad compared to the days of old? And what don't you like about the costume?

#24 Suvad

Suvad

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 6,693 posts

• Saudi Arabia

• Quote:
    - Shakira

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

What exactly makes the dancing so bad compared to the days of old? And what don't you like about the costume?

It's not bad, not at all actually. She mastered it.
But it is absolutely not Shakira, I just fail to see her renowned original twist there. What's most frustrating about it is that I can (and have) seen similar dance routines in numerous other places performed by different other artists. The same cannot be said for performances of previous tours. They were purely Shakira.
As for the costume, I don't care for it all that much but I think it's not really fitting the song. She's obviously trying to incorporate new elements (African and Indian) but personally I'm not liking it and I think it's taking away from the main theme of the song (viaje de Bahrain hasta Beirut).
04444.jpg

#25 rpvee

rpvee

The Ojos Asi Guy

• 7,033 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

It's not bad, not at all actually. She mastered it.
But it is absolutely not Shakira, I just fail to see her renowned original twist there. What's most frustrating about it is that I can (and have) seen similar dance routines in numerous other places performed by different other artists. The same cannot be said for performances of previous tours. They were purely Shakira.
As for the costume, I don't care for it all that much but I think it's not really fitting the song. She's obviously trying to incorporate new elements (African and Indian) but personally I'm not liking it and I think it's taking away from the main theme of the song (viaje de Bahrain hasta Beirut).

I can understand that perspective of the dance. It is more stereotypical bellydance, but it's also longer, thus needing more moves to fill the length of the musical piece, Move.

I like the costume, it's cool seeing Ojos' moves in a dress. It flows nicely.

#26 Agent L

Agent L

Sultan of Swing

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,393 posts
  • Interests:My name is Lynn and I love to hula.

• United States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

I don't mind the new set-up. That being said, it doesn't stop me from flipping on the Unplugged/TOTM/etc dvds and back bending the ::censored:: out of my living room.

soctavo.gif

Un sandwich.

"Wait...I am International Pop Star Shakira, and I must dance."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users