Photo

" Shakira. " Reviews

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Vuelve88

Vuelve88

Uyyyyyy corn!

• 12,384 posts
  • Interests:I'm currently a Senior at Vanderbilt University, studying Political Science and Communication Studies. I'm hoping to become a lawyer in the future.

• United States

• Quote:
    Though my views may be wrong
    They may even be perverted
    She'll hear me out
    And won't easily be converted
    To my way of thinking
    In fact she'll often disagree
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

To keep things organized and easy to read, add all the "Shakira." album reviews here.  Feel free to discuss the reviews. 

I'll start with this one from NewsDay, which gave the album an "A-"! Yay!

Shakira forged a bold, distinctive career in pop long before she reached the mainstream as a judge on "The Voice."

Her last album, "She Wolf," was a wild experiment in dance pop that stretched boundaries at every turn, pulling together world beat, synth pop and whatever else fit in her unique, musical view. On her new album, "Shakira." (RCA), however, she is more focused than ever on charming those who have heretofore been unmoved by her truth-telling hips.

She starts with the megawatt duet with Rihanna, "Can't Remember to Forget You," that simply screams smash and follows with one clever pop twist after another. Sometimes, she recaptures new wave, especially in "Chasing Shadows," which sounds like a Latin Pat Benatar fronting the Pet Shop Boys. Sometimes, she goes after the Pitbull market, especially in the stomping "Dare (La La La)," which is already in an ad for Activia yogurt and may or may not be a theme for the upcoming World Cup in Brazil.

But Shakira doesn't stop there. She teams up with fellow "Voice" judge Blake Shelton on the country-tinged pop of "Medicine," which, to both their credits, works out far better than anyone would expect. She heads into Taylor Swift acoustic confessional territory in the lovely "23," though T-Swizzle would never try a line such as, "I used to think there was no God, but then you looked at me with your blue eyes and my agnosticism turned into dust."

Yes, even when Shakira is trying to play it safe, she can't help but let her freak flag fly.

SHAKIRA
"Shakira"

THE GRADE A-

BOTTOM LINE Way more than just "The Voice."

http://www.newsday.c...g-fly-1.7465959

Edited by Vuelve88, 24 March 2014 - 06:40 PM.

"Such a sad day in music and entertainment history. And just the other day I was saying how much I wished I was one of her twins."
- disneyreporter

"The only new Dell coming out are in the format of a computer." - JMO

#2 Vuelve88

Vuelve88

Uyyyyyy corn!

• 12,384 posts
  • Interests:I'm currently a Senior at Vanderbilt University, studying Political Science and Communication Studies. I'm hoping to become a lawyer in the future.

• United States

• Quote:
    She'll hear me out
    To my way of thinking
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

(Reserved)

"Such a sad day in music and entertainment history. And just the other day I was saying how much I wished I was one of her twins."
- disneyreporter

#3 Vuelve88

Vuelve88

Uyyyyyy corn!

• 12,384 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    She'll hear me out
    To my way of thinking
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

(Reserved)

- disneyreporter

#4 Dexter_Shak

Dexter_Shak

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

• Portugal

• Quote:
    Catching Empyre

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine 3.5/5
He gave 4 to the Fixations and 4.5 to SW & SES. :\

Like many eponymous albums, Shakira's self-titled 2014 set marks a new beginning: a new album for a new label after she got a new job. The new job was as a co-host on the hit American televised musical contest The Voice, the new label was RCA, and the new album was her first full-fledged pop album since She Wolf, the rather brilliant, hard electronic dance record that stiffed in 2009. She bounced back in 2010 with Sale el Sol, but that album wasn't made with the U.S. market in mind, something that certainly can't be said of Shakira. Opening up with a duet with Rihanna, and later finding space for her Voice co-host Blake Shelton, Shakira is determined to appeal to all audiences here: don't like the relentless dance of "Dare (La La La)"? Stick around for the reggae collaboration with Magic! on "Cut Me Deep," or maybe the appealing faux-folk of "23" or the full-bore adult-pop assault of "The One Thing," which may be the best cut here. Unlike Oral Fixation, which spilled over with so much ambition it couldn't be contained on a single disc, this is concentrated: every track has its purpose; none has excess. That doesn't necessarily mean that every cut is cohesive but Shakira is the rare pop star who can pull an album together through sheer force of personality. Whatever the setting, she not only sounds comfortable, she sounds powerful, and that goes a long way toward making Shakira a nice state-of-the-art pop album for America and the rest of the world. http://www.allmusic....ra-mw0002616990

Edited by Dexter_Shak, 24 March 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#5 Jairo

Jairo

• 16,682 posts

• Colombia

• Quote:
    Who are we? What we run? THE WORLD!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

So, this is the review that I made for El Heraldo in Barranquilla

Alma y amor, las energías del nuevo álbum de Shakira

http://www.elheraldo...-shakira-147049

In an era where the industry turns to digital and the 'retail' song becomes increasingly popular, Shakira is firm and resists change, believing perhaps that is not an artist but lived ephemeral simple albums . 

This record will remain an ode to love, life and their intimate moments, but also a way to settle an old debt with their audience that wanted back in the land where she became famous with her bare feet: more acoustic, more personal, more Shakira.

Twitter @JairoSoto
Instagram: jairosoto

"Antes de las Seis" es agarrar un momento, una emoción intensa y hacer de eso un cuadro. Son momentos que vienen y van. Muchas veces inspirado en mi experiencia otras veces es poniéndome en la piel de alguien que está cerca mío."
Shakira

#6 jeroenalders

jeroenalders

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• Netherlands

• Quote:
    Are you ready for the good times?

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Allmusic.com

By: Stephen Thomas Erlewine

3.5 stars (out of 5)

Like many eponymous albums, Shakira's self-titled 2014 set marks a new beginning: a new album for a new label after she got a new job. The new job was as a co-host on the hit American televised musical contest The Voice, the new label was RCA, and the new album was her first full-fledged pop album since She Wolf, the rather brilliant, hard electronic dance record that stiffed in 2009. She bounced back in 2010 with Sale el Sol, but that album wasn't made with the U.S. market in mind, something that certainly can't be said of Shakira. Opening up with a duet with Rihanna, and later finding space for her Voice co-host Blake Shelton, Shakira is determined to appeal to all audiences here: don't like the relentless dance of "Dare (La La La)"? Stick around for the reggae collaboration with Magic! on "Cut Me Deep," or maybe the appealing faux-folk of "23" or the full-bore adult-pop assault of "The One Thing," which may be the best cut here. Unlike Oral Fixation, which spilled over with so much ambition it couldn't be contained on a single disc, this is concentrated: every track has its purpose; none has excess. That doesn't necessarily mean that every cut is cohesive but Shakira is the rare pop star who can pull an album together through sheer force of personality. Whatever the setting, she not only sounds comfortable, she sounds powerful, and that goes a long way toward making Shakira a nice state-of-the-art pop album for America and the rest of the world.

Standout tracks:

• Can't Remeber To Forget You
  • You Don't Care About Me
  • The One Thing
  • Medicine

#7 TurkishShakiraFann

TurkishShakiraFann

Kill For Shakira

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,122 posts
  • Interests:Dance , Swim , Football , Basketball , Karate , Take Photos

• Turkey

• Quote:
    Shakira is My Oxygen

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

(DIGITAL SPY UK) 4 stars (out of 5)

Music Review

Shakira's new album reviewed: A deft shimmy over a tighrope of integrity

"It's a fickle world," sings Shakira all-too-truly on the exuberant, bubblegum-snappy 'The One Thing'. One of the Colombian star's great attractions in a yes-man pop landscape is her refusal to pander to passing fads. Of course, she doesn't need to - a songwriter since the age of 8, her infectious, emotive blend of Latin and Arabic musical heritages, her peculiar feline yowl and her personal, idiosyncratic lyrics made her a superstar in the Latin American pop world years before her breakthrough into the US and European markets with 2001's Laundry Service.

So coming after the more electropop stylings of 2009's She Wolf, news that she'd signed a management deal with Roc Nation, been hanging around with the likes of megabangerz merchants Dr Luke and Max Martin and collaborated with Rihanna brought mixed feelings - what would become of our non-mountain-breasted true original, the one who wrote angry songs about East Timor and hung around with Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

But there was no need to fear - though you might find this she-wolf in the odd closet, she'll be crammed into no man's Procrustean pop pigeon-hole. Though her new World Cup track 'La La La (Brazil 2014)' has the bones of a monstrous, reptile-brained banger, it's animated by a spirit that's unmistakably Shakira; its flouncy, fiery come-and-have-a-go challenge romping across both the football field of dreams and, on the alternate lyrics of the standard album version, the gladiatorial love-combat of the dancefloor. 

It characterises an album that nails a fine balance between keeping what's best about Shakira and running with the rat race of relevance. Just as finely judged is Rihannacollab 'Can't Remember To Forget You', its antsy, itchy-rhythmed verses and crashing, dramatic chorus both purest Shakira and fighting fit for the pop agenda.

As befits a self-titled 10th album, the rest of the record ranges wide across Shakira's styles. 'Empire' is a more mature, classic, piano-led sort of pop with a star-gazing, philosophical rush, Shakira keening: "The stars make love to the universe" as the track rushes to a cosmic-orgasmic chorus. 'You Don't Care About Me' is bruised and moody Latin guitar-pop, while her co-producers on that track and 'The One Thing', The Messengers, are given a guest spot in their guise as Magic! on the wounded reggae-pop of 'Cut Me Deep'. 

'Spotlight', one of several tributes to footballer boyfriend Gerard Piqué, has the feel of a Katy Perry or even aCarly Rae Jepsenballad, but that purr and that way with words lift it clear of the commonplace. The oddest stylistic turn of all, though, is a collaboration with her fellow former The Voice US coach Blake Shelton; a heart-wrenching modern country ballad of the shlockiest order called 'Medicine'. 

Lines like, "I won't reach for the bottle of whisky/ You won't see me popping the pills" sit a little oddly on Shakira, but one of her other great powers is the ability to get away with being adorably naff by virtue of charm, gutsy connection and great songs.

Shakira feels like quite a short record after over four years out of the fray, but given that fillered-out overreaching is the downfall of so many pop albums, brevity is a blessing enjoyed by the self-confident. If you're after something cutting-edge that pushes pop forward, you won't find it here, nor will you find, this time around, much in the way of political comment. 

Shakira's quite content to dance a deft, concise shimmy over a tightrope of integrity and currency - the fickle world can either shake its hips or sling its hook.

star4.png

source http://www.digitalsp...-integrity.html

Edited by TurkishShakiraFann, 24 March 2014 - 03:25 PM.

xEj78A.jpg

you can watch my video here http://goo.gl/Vo6RgB

#8 TurkishShakiraFann

TurkishShakiraFann

Kill For Shakira

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,122 posts

• Turkey

• Quote:
    Shakira is My Oxygen

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Review: Shakira's New Album Should Be Much Better

Shakira, "Shakira" (RCA Records)

Shakira's domination in America has dwindled since she became a hip-swiveling goddess of festive pop hits like "Whenever, Wherever" and "Hips Don't Lie."

Already a superstar in her native Colombia, the multitalented singer-songwriter-instrumentalist took the American pop scene by storm when she made her U.S. language debut in 2001 with personal, rich songs about romance and more. But her recent albums haven't matched the spark, edge and charisma from her work a decade ago, and her new self-titled release, while enjoyable at times, doesn't showcase this Grammy-winning, Golden Globe-nominated superstar in the right light.

"Shakira," her tenth album, features the 37-year-old taking a back seat as lead songwriter and producer, and that doesn't come off as a wise move. "Dare (La La La)," helmed by Dr. Luke, Max Martin and others, sounds like a Jennifer Lopez song, and that's not a compliment (sorry, Jenny). While Shakira's stint as a judge on "The Voice" has been pleasurable to watch, her duet with fellow mentor Blake Shelton on the country-feeling "Medicine" is a bore, though it was co-written by Academy Award nominee and hit country songwriter Hillary Lindsey.

Even the duet with Rihanna, the up-tempo lead single "Can't Remember to Forget You," comes off as a cry for a pop hit. The song lacks energy though two superstars are part of it, and the collaboration feels forced (Rihanna and Shakira are both signed to Roc Nation management).

The album's lyrics also lack emotional and depth. It's a far stretch from Shakira's earlier songs, such as her Latin pop breakthrough "Estoy Aqui (I'm Here)" or the part-gritty, part- bouncy "La Tortura." The new album follows in the footsteps of her last two albums, 2009's "She Wolf" and 2010's "Sale el Sol," which have bright spots, but still didn't carry the oomph and appeal of her earlier work.

Shakira does move the needle a bit on the reggae-laced "Cut Me Deep," which features the band Magic! Nasir Atweh, the band's lead singer, is part of the songwriting duo The Messengers, who have penned hits for Justin Bieber, Chris Brown and Pitbull.

"Spotlight," co-written by Lindsey and produced by Greg Kurstin, sounds arena-ready, which is excellent for an entertaining performer like Shakira. And the album's most honest moment is "23," a sweet ode to her 1-year-old son's father, soccer player Gerard Pique, who is 10 years younger than Shakira (he was 23 when they met). She co-wrote the simple guitar tune with Luis Fernando Ochoa, who collaborated with Shakira on her third album and major label debut, 1996's "Pies Descalzos."

source http://abcnews.go.co...-album-23040462

xEj78A.jpg

#9 Carlox

Carlox

P►U►L►S►E

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 13,309 posts
  • Interests:Any colour you like

• Chile

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Edited by Carlox, 24 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

Remember when we were young? You shone like the sun ; Now there's a look in your eyes, like black wholes in the sky - - - - - - - - - -> Las últimas canciones
Posted Image Posted Image
Carlox

#10 disneyreporter

disneyreporter

Objection

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,352 posts
  • Interests:Disney and Shakira

• United States

• Quote:
    "We can be the architects of change." -- Shakira at the CGI event

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

On the negative reviews, make sure to make positive comments about how great the album is.

Shakiramedia Awards 2010
-Strangest Screenname (Third Time!)

Shakiramedia Awards 2008
-Most Boring Member (Again)
-Strangest Screenname (Again)
-Most Underrated

Shakiramedia Awards 2007
-Most Boring Member
-Strangest Screenname

#11 pacheito

pacheito

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

• United Kingdom

• Quote:
    This body of work is from Dominican Republic

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Shakira's domination in America has dwindled since she became a hip-swiveling goddess of festive pop hits like "Whenever, Wherever" and "Hips Don't Lie."

Already a superstar in her native Colombia, the multitalented singer-songwriter-instrumentalist took the American pop scene by storm when she made her U.S. language debut in 2001 with personal, rich songs about romance and more. But her recent albums haven't matched the spark, edge and charisma from her work a decade ago, and her new self-titled release, while enjoyable at times, doesn't showcase this Grammy-winning, Golden Globe-nominated superstar in the right light.

"Shakira," her tenth album, features the 37-year-old taking a back seat as lead songwriter and producer, and that doesn't come off as a wise move. "Dare (La La La)," helmed by Dr. Luke, Max Martin and others, sounds like a Jennifer Lopez song, and that's not a compliment (sorry, Jenny). While Shakira's stint as a judge on "The Voice" has been pleasurable to watch, her duet with fellow mentor Blake Shelton on the country-feeling "Medicine" is a bore, though it was co-written by Academy Award nominee and hit country songwriter Hillary Lindsey.

Even the duet with Rihanna, the up-tempo lead single "Can't Remember to Forget You," comes off as a cry for a pop hit. The song lacks energy though two superstars are part of it, and the collaboration feels forced (Rihanna and Shakira are both signed to Roc Nation management).

The album's lyrics also lack emotional and depth. It's a far stretch from Shakira's earlier songs, such as her Latin pop breakthrough "Estoy Aqui (I'm Here)" or the part-gritty, part- bouncy "La Tortura." The new album follows in the footsteps of her last two albums, 2009's "She Wolf" and 2010's "Sale el Sol," which have bright spots, but still didn't carry the oomph and appeal of her earlier work.

Shakira does move the needle a bit on the reggae-laced "Cut Me Deep," which features the band Magic! Nasir Atweh, the band's lead singer, is part of the songwriting duo The Messengers, who have penned hits for Justin Bieber, Chris Brown and Pitbull.

"Spotlight," co-written by Lindsey and produced by Greg Kurstin, sounds arena-ready, which is excellent for an entertaining performer like Shakira. And the album's most honest moment is "23," a sweet ode to her 1-year-old son's father, soccer player Gerard Pique, who is 10 years younger than Shakira (he was 23 when they met). She co-wrote the simple guitar tune with Luis Fernando Ochoa, who collaborated with Shakira on her third album and major label debut, 1996's "Pies Descalzos."

source http://abcnews.go.co...-album-23040462

Spanish translation:

El dominio de Shakira en Estados Unidos ha menguado desde que se convirtió en esa diosa que contoneaba caderas al ritmo de éxitos como "Whenever, Wherever" y "Hips Don't Lie".

Ya una superestrella en su natal Colombia, la multitalentosa cantante, compositora e instrumentista sacudió la escena pop estadounidense cuando debutó en este país en 2001 con canciones personales y ricas sobre romance y más. Pero sus discos más recientes no han igualado la chispa, el filo y el carisma de su trabajo de hace una década, y su nuevo álbum homónimo, aunque placentero por momentos, no presenta a esta laureada estrella bajo la luz adecuada.

Para "Shakira", su décima producción, a la venta el martes, la artista de 37 años toma un papel secundario en cuanto a composición y producción, y la movida no resulta acertada. "Dare (La La La)", dirigida por Dr. Luke, Max Martin y otros, suena como una canción de Jennifer López, y ese no es un elogio (disculpa, Jenny). Aunque la participación de Shakira como jueza en "The Voice" ha sido placentera, su dueto con el también mentor Blake Shelton en el tema country "Medicine" es aburrido, pese a que fue escrito por la reconocida compositora de ese género musical Hillary Lindsey.

Incluso el dueto con Rihanna, el primer sencillo "Can't Remember to Forget You", parece un acto desesperado por un éxito pop. La canción carece de la energía esperada de dos superestrellas como estas y la colaboración se siente forzada (Rihanna y Shakira son ambas parte del sello Roc Nation).

Las letras del álbum carecen de grandes emociones y de profundidad. Lejos están de temas como el éxito pop en español "Estoy aquí" o la valiente y vivaz "La tortura", que cantó con Alejandro Sanz. El nuevo disco le sigue los pasos a sus últimos dos, "She Wolf" de 2009 y "Sale el Sol" de 2010, que sonaron pero no con la misma fuerza de sus trabajos previos.

Shakira sí impresiona en el corte reggae "Cut Me Deep", con la banda Magic! El cantante principal de la agrupación, Nasir Atweh, es parte del dúo de compositores The Messengers, que han escrito éxitos para Justin Bieber, Chris Brown y Pitbull.

"Spotlight", coescrita por Hillary Lindsey y producida por Greg Kurstin, suena lista para concierto, algo excelente para una artista que sabe darlo todo en el escenario como Shakira.

El momento más honesto del álbum es "23", una dulce oda al padre de su hijo de un año, el futbolista Gerard Piqué, que es 10 años menor que ella (23 es la edad que él tenía cuando se conocieron). Shakira coescribió la simple melodía de guitarra con Luis Fernando Ochoa, quien colaboró con ella en su tercer álbum y gran debut de 1996 "Pies descalzos". ¿Podrían por favor reunirse para un álbum completo?

11mdnxs.png

#12 DYshakira

DYshakira

VIP

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Student. Shakira is the BAE. #TeamShakira

• Australia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

ALBUM OF THE WEEK 'Shakira' savors contentment by USA TODAY

One of the guest artists on Shakira's self-titled new album (***½ out of four) is a 14-month-old credited as the "youngest background vocalist in the world!" Milan, Shakira's son by Spanish footballer Gerard Pique, gurgles happily at the end of 23, a gently blissed-out track written for his father (who was that age when the singer/songwriter met him).

Shakira's search for and realization of personal happiness is a recurring topic here. Empiresegues from lean, tender verses to muscular, ecstatic choruses, and on the swirling, crashing Spotlight, Shakira defiantly clings to "the link I was missing." There are apparent references to relationships that didn't work out as swimmingly on the reggae-laced Cut Me Deep and You Don't Care About Me.

Shakira wields her distinctly tangy voice more playfully on groove-driven tracks such asCan't Remember to Forget You, featuring Rihanna, and the dance-floor-ready Dare (La La La). Hips still don't lie, but Shakira also extols the more settled sense of joy that comes from finding what you were looking for.

698d990284.jpg

#13 Greatness

Greatness

This is what is known as a Super Saiyan that has ascended ...

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,097 posts
  • Interests:Shakira, Video Games, Movies, Sports, TV Shows

• United States

• Quote:
    "Right back at ya," cause I'll survive...

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Can we also discuss about the reviews here?

#14 Vuelve88

Vuelve88

Uyyyyyy corn!

• 12,384 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    She'll hear me out
    To my way of thinking
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Can we also discuss about the reviews here?

Yeah, definitely. :) I just wanted to make it easier for people who are looking for all the reviews, because the other album thread is so massive that they'll end up getting lost.

- disneyreporter

#15 Greatness

Greatness

This is what is known as a Super Saiyan that has ascended ...

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,097 posts
  • Interests:Shakira, Video Games, Movies, Sports, TV Shows

• United States

• Quote:
    "Right back at ya," cause I'll survive...

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

I hate the fact that I agree with this

#16 Lo Imprescindible

Lo Imprescindible

Cold Hard Bitch

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,128 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    I'll make you squeal baby

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

nvm

Edited by Lo Imprescindible, 24 March 2014 - 08:02 PM.

tumblr_lvx6uxBE461qb61ido2_r1_400.gif

Shakira slayage is upon us!

#17 Carlox

Carlox

P►U►L►S►E

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 13,309 posts
  • Interests:Any colour you like

• Chile

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Which are the reviews that have higher impact? Rolling Stones?

Edited by Carlox, 24 March 2014 - 08:06 PM.

Remember when we were young? You shone like the sun ; Now there's a look in your eyes, like black wholes in the sky - - - - - - - - - -> Las últimas canciones
Posted Image Posted Image
Carlox

#18 Neurotiko

Neurotiko

takin' ober di wurrld!

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 7,541 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    El envidioso inventa el rumor, El chismoso lo difunde, Y el idiota se lo cree

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

the problem with this review is that it was done for AP and many newspapers and online news distribute it from AP source :/

2nhkcg0.gif

#19 Vuelve88

Vuelve88

Uyyyyyy corn!

• 12,384 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    She'll hear me out
    To my way of thinking
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:48 AM

‘Shakira.,” the namesake new album from theColombian singer-songwriter and humanitarian, comes with a number of distinctions. It’s her first album since becoming a mother and a coach on the television singing competition “The Voice” last year, and it’s her return to performing in English after 2010’s excellent “Sale el Sol.”

The real achievement, though, is that it’s also her most personal effort in years, a reminder that there’s a lot of heart and soul beneath the shiny exterior of her global stardom. On her previous two studio records, Shakira had gone into high-gloss mode, unleashing her inner dance-floor diva on 2009’s “She Wolf” and then into pulsating Latin pop on “Sale el Sol.”

“Shakira” is a more middle-of-the-road affair, but it’s also more revealing. After ending a long-term relationship with Antonio de la Rúa that was both romantic and professional, Shakira moved on and had a son last year with GerardPiqué, a Spanish soccer player.

She sounds at ease and reborn on this new album, proudly addressing the joy of new love from both her child and partner. “Hey, do you believe in destiny?/ ’Cause I do as I did then/ When you were only 23,” she sings on the chorus of “23,” a reference to Piqué’s age when they met. The song concludes with a gurgle from their infant son.

It’s sweet enough to make you forgive the occasional misstep, such as “Medicine,” a trite duet with Blake Shelton, the country star who’s her fellow coach on “The Voice.” Shakira sounds more at home with Rihanna on “Can’t Remember to Forget You,” which bounces to a slinky ska beat. (Out Tuesday)

ESSENTIAL “Can’t Remember to Forget You”

http://www.bostonglo...G1JJ/story.html

Source: Boston Globe

Edited by Vuelve88, 25 March 2014 - 12:51 AM.

- disneyreporter

#20 FelipeM

FelipeM

King of the world

• *Gold Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, Cinema, Music.

• Australia

• Quote:
    Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes...

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

Nice review from the Washington Post.. I think (The writer is not a fan of Medicine like some other people it seems though).

Is there anyone alive who doesnt have a special, secret fondness for Shakira? Besides maybe that famously angry sea lion who attacked the singer in 2012 and was presumably unaware of her selfless work with the United Nations and had probably never even heard She Wolf, because he would have really liked it.

Everyone else seems to have long ago succumbed to Shakiras hip-swiveling charms. Shes an avatar of pop-culture globalization a Colombian singer-songwriter of Lebanese descent whose songs are a multicultural grab bag of melodies from the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and, most prominently on her new, self-titled album, the American South. Shes a social-media giant. Statues have been erected in her honor. (Okay, one statue. Made of metal, not the hand-chiseled marble she deserves. And it depicts Shakira wearing pants she probably would never wear. But its a start.)

Shakira has weird, very specific tastes: Shakira is not her first album to feature near-lethal doses of reggae and 90s alt-rock, as if she hasnt realized that those things are mostly awful. Yet she also has the broadest canvas of any pop diva in memory she can contain multitudes, from cumbia to country, and still sound instantly, recognizably like herself.

Shakira, her charming, awkward, immensely appealing new disc, tests this theory. It was assembled by a murderers row of expensive producers and writers, including Dr. Luke, Max Martin and Cirkut. Any student of recent pop history knows what comes next: dignity-killing, one-size-fits-all dance-pop songs predestined for success and oblivion in the same month.

Shakira submits to Dr. Lukes dehumanizing ministrations and manages to come out the other end sounding only slightly less like herself. Dare (La La La) doubles as the background music for Shakiras new commercial for Activia yogurt, and it sounds like something Lady Gaga would have made before she became ridiculous. Its wonderful.

Most of the rest of Shakira seems like an uneasy bargain between what she wants (rootsy, often acoustic-based pop with a rangy feel and an affinity for early Alanis Morissette) and what the producers want (hits). Its familiar territory for the singer, who has routinely employed of-the-moment production teams to contemporize (and Americanize) her sound, but seldom has the divide seemed so great.

The best tracks split the difference: The new wave/reggae hybrid Cant Remember to Forget You is an energetic duet with Rihanna, pops favorite inanimate object. Loca por Ti (one of a handful of Spanish tracks on the standard edition of the album) is 80s jukebox country, finely rendered. The midtempo Latin pop track You Dont Care About Me recalls vintage Marc Anthony.

Shakira has four fully formed emotions Reproachful, Cheery, Lets Dance and I Want to Do Things to You. Thats two more than Dr. Luke usually has to work with, and she also has a voice thats hiccupy and distinct, especially at the wildest, warbliest reaches of her register. To make Shakira sound like everybody else takes some effort. On the discs weakest track, Spotlight, she sounds unerringly, depressingly, like Taylor Swift; the song sounds like a reheated Red outtake, and the vocal similarity is too marked to be accidental.

Swift is the unlikeliest of specters. But, if only because she is one of Shakiras few rivals who can credibly deliver a slender love song backed by an acoustic guitar, she also haunts the folk ballad 23, one of the albums starkest and best songs. Shakira has never been much of a lyricist, but 23 is clunkier, and braver, (I used to think that there was no god / But then you looked at me with your blue eyes / And my agnosticism turned into dust) than Swift would ever dare to be.

Shakiras comfort level seems to ebb and flow throughout the album: Shes commanding on the Spanish-language songs, playful on the bangers, subdued on the songs that are obviously ill-suited for her, such as the Nashville ballad Medicine, a collaboration with Blake Shelton, her fellow judge on The Voice. Its one of those duets where two famous people from different genres are joined by their business managers in pursuit of a crossover hit. They sing at each other and both sound as if theyd rather be anywhere else. Shelton, also at half-wattage, treats her with unusual delicacy, as if he was enlisted partly for his hit-making skills and partly to stop her from running away.

http://m.washingtonp...d9-3012c1cd8d1e

Edited by FelipeM, 25 March 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#21 pirry

pirry

Whatever

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,761 posts

• France

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Dont get the hate towards Medecine tbh

#22 Nahlim

Nahlim

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,167 posts
  • Quote:
    Y lo mejor siempre espera adelante...

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

Well, SW was critically acclaimed, but didn't perform well, Maybe Shakira. will be the opposite. 

Honestly, Shakira. doesn't reach to the creativity heights of SW, but it's a breath of fresh air for Shak. I wouldn't be able to stand another SES kind of album and still feel for her the same. Ironically, Loca por ti is one of my favorite tracks.

142d0y9.jpg

#23 DYshakira

DYshakira

VIP

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Student. Shakira is the BAE. #TeamShakira

• Australia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Yeah I thought a lot of critics would like medicine cos even country fans are loving it. These critics are not big fans of country music?

698d990284.jpg

#24 disneyreporter

disneyreporter

Objection

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 5,352 posts
  • Interests:Disney and Shakira

• United States

• Quote:
    "We can be the architects of change." -- Shakira at the CGI event

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yeah I thought a lot of critics would like medicine cos even country fans are loving it. These critics are not big fans of country music?

Apparently critics don't like country ... but that's okay.  The country fans are the ones that buy albums more than any other type of genre.

Shakiramedia Awards 2010
-Strangest Screenname (Third Time!)

Shakiramedia Awards 2008
-Most Boring Member (Again)
-Strangest Screenname (Again)
-Most Underrated

Shakiramedia Awards 2007
-Most Boring Member
-Strangest Screenname

#25 askew

askew

Recompensa

• Platinum®
  • 2,169 posts

• United States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

It does seem like this will be Shakira's worst reviewed album to date, which is ok. It is still getting better reviews than almost all of the other pop stars albums.

I didn't agree with all of that review but I loved this part:

Shakira, her charming, awkward, immensely appealing new disc, tests this theory. It was assembled by a murderers row of expensive producers and writers, including Dr. Luke, Max Martin and Cirkut. Any student of recent pop history knows what comes next: dignity-killing, one-size-fits-all dance-pop songs predestined for success and oblivion in the same month.

Shakira submits to Dr. Lukes dehumanizing ministrations and manages to come out the other end sounding only slightly less like herself. Dare (La La La) doubles as the background music for Shakiras new commercial for Activia yogurt, and it sounds like something Lady Gaga would have made before she became ridiculous. Its wonderful.

Edited by askew, 25 March 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#26 RLW

RLW

Love in the Time of Cholera

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,717 posts
  • Interests:Science and Mathematics

• United States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:47 AM

It does seem like this will be Shakira's worst reviewed album to date, which is ok. It is still getting better reviews than almost all of the other pop stars albums.

I didn't agree with all of that review but I loved this part:

basically saying that we are all music drug attics, waiting for our next fix. Time for  us to check into rehab.

#27 TurkishShakiraFann

TurkishShakiraFann

Kill For Shakira

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 3,122 posts

• Turkey

• Quote:
    Shakira is My Oxygen

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

BILLBOARD GAVE 88/100 !!!  :dancingfever:  :dancingfever: 

http://www.billboard...by-track-review

xEj78A.jpg

#28 pacheito

pacheito

King of the world

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

• United Kingdom

• Quote:
    This body of work is from Dominican Republic

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

BILLBOARD GAVE 88/100 !!!  :dancingfever:  :dancingfever: 

http://www.billboard...by-track-review

I think it is fair :)

11mdnxs.png

#29 Vuelve88

Vuelve88

Uyyyyyy corn!

• 12,384 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    She'll hear me out
    To my way of thinking
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Dont get the hate towards Medecine tbh

It's automatically being dismissed because it's Country and because it features Blake Shelton. Even one reviewer automatically assumed the collaboration was a business arrangement. Basically, it doesn't matter how good the song is, because critics instantly want to criticize it. 

The good thing, though, is that the public likes the song and even Nashville media likes it. It's currently the 3rd most downloaded Shakira song on iTunes in the U.S.

- disneyreporter

#30 agasimono

agasimono

Pies Descalzos

• *Gold Member*
  • 1,137 posts

• Argentina

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

"Shakira." has already a Metacritic page. It's at 72 with 4 reviews only.

http://www.metacriti...shakira/shakira

Signature removed. It's too big. Please read the rules. Moderator

Once in a great while a man has a chance to shine. This is not that man. EXTRAS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users