• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

I was wondering if Shakira--Ariana collaboration could be coming our way at some point, because of the US/Latino market potential, and because Ariana is often compared to Shakira as her heiress and somebody who can match Shakira as a singer/songwriter, but also looks and intelligence wise, and just the overall star attitude?

I think as a dancer, Ariana is not close to Shakira, but still, do you think the two could join the forces for the next big hit sometime soon, maybe next summer?

#2 SantiagoShakira

SantiagoShakira

Aló, aló, ¿Hay alguien ahí?

• Platinum®
  • 2,209 posts

• United States

• Quote:
    Fría como una estatua de sal

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Ariana isn't latina tho

But maybe a collab between them could be cute. Most likely not though

Quiero excederme, perseguirte, pretenderte.

Follow me on Instagram @ santiagoalss

#3 RLW

RLW

Love in the Time of Cholera

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,585 posts
  • Interests:Science and Mathematics

• United States

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Ariana isn't latina tho

But maybe a collab between them could be cute. Most likely not though

lol Just because you have Latin ancestry it doesn't make you a Latino.

#4 SantiagoShakira

SantiagoShakira

• Platinum®
  • 2,209 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

lol Just because you have Latin ancestry it doesn't make you a Latino.

Re-read what I wrote, that's what I'm saying lol - she's not latina. She doesn't have latin american ancestry, she's an Italian-American.

#5 RLW

RLW

Love in the Time of Cholera

• DIAMOND MEMBER
  • 10,585 posts
  • Interests:Science and Mathematics

• United States

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Re-read what I wrote, that's what I'm saying lol - she's not latina. She doesn't have latin american ancestry, she's an Italian-American.

However, Ariana, born in North America with Italian heritage is not a Latina but if Ariana was born in South America with Italian heritage she would be a Latina.

#6 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

oooops, I apologize, I thought Ariana was of Mexican origin. Still, what I meant was, do the two match in terms of talent, promise, writing, skill, intelligence, looks, etc.

But I guess Ariana is yet to earn her spot in the same sentence as Shakira...

#7 SantiagoShakira

SantiagoShakira

• Platinum®
  • 2,209 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

However, Ariana, born in North America with Italian heritage is not a Latina but if Ariana was born in South America with Italian heritage she would be a Latina.

Yep. But she's not.

But I guess Ariana is yet to earn her spot in the same sentence as Shakira...

Basically. As of now, it wouldn't do wonders for Shakira's brand image.

#8 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

Yep. But she's not.

Basically. As of now, it wouldn't do wonders for Shakira's brand image.

Agreed. But then again, I was also wondering how come somebody like JLO never earned the place in S's airspace? Is it the matter of branding and management, or Shakira has her ways of being picky and doing things her way?

#9 SantiagoShakira

SantiagoShakira

• Platinum®
  • 2,209 posts

• United States

• Quote:

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

Agreed. But then again, I was also wondering how come somebody like JLO never earned the place in S's airspace? Is it the matter of branding and management, or Shakira has her ways of being picky and doing things her way?

Branding and quality of music. J Lo does too many things to be taken seriously as a musician, compared to Shakira that focuses solely on music. Also, J Lo is an incredible performer, but her material has always been lackluster commercial music. Shakira didn't follow that route until much later in her career, and she had already established herself as a worldwide name. Shak has had some seminal hits (Whenever Wherever, Hips, Waka Waka) to cement her status as a legend, but J Lo has no huge worldwide hit that people think of immediately. J Lo also generally has branded herself as a beautiful, sexy woman that can dance. Shakira has branded herself as that, but also someone that has talent, a recognizable voice, diversity in music, known as a songwriter and for being intelligent, and generally being multicultural. Her music has touched much more people than J Lo's music has. J Lo also hasn't had a hit in a while, with the closest one being On The Floor and not may hits for a long while before then.

#10 alicec

alicec

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

Branding and quality of music. J Lo does too many things to be taken seriously as a musician, compared to Shakira that focuses solely on music. Also, J Lo is an incredible performer, but her material has always been lackluster commercial music. Shakira didn't follow that route until much later in her career, and she had already established herself as a worldwide name. Shak has had some seminal hits (Whenever Wherever, Hips, Waka Waka) to cement her status as a legend, but J Lo has no huge worldwide hit that people think of immediately. J Lo also generally has branded herself as a beautiful, sexy woman that can dance. Shakira has branded herself as that, but also someone that has talent, a recognizable voice, diversity in music, known as a songwriter and for being intelligent, and generally being multicultural. Her music has touched much more people than J Lo's music has. J Lo also hasn't had a hit in a while, with the closest one being On The Floor and not may hits for a long while before then.

Yup, good post, I agree with everything, very well explained. I guess with Ariana there is still a lot to prove for her, and for JLO, she can't do anything more to prove herself to be more than she had always been--a good star/performer/dancer, but not so much of a singer/songwriter, and so not in Shakira's league.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users